Sexy timber!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richburrow

Established Member
Reaction score
This little beauty looks amazing, I know my pictures are rubbish but speed is of the essence.

This was not turned by me but one of my best lads at school.
The label said American black ash Burr
£19.95 :shock: :shock:
It looks nothing like ash but smelt and turned the same as ash does.

In the flesh the wood is really quite special, the burr patterns are very small and tight and the lad has done a cracking job.
Hope you like
RB

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

Looks really good. Great to see youngsters turning. Must be a good feeling being able to teach them. Is that price the cost of the wood or the price he wants for the bowl?

Pete

Brilliant looking bowl, shape looks great and seems to be well finished. Nice one on tutoring him Rich.

Dan

Brilliant to see young wood turners work, especially as nice as this. You appear surprised at the price of it? What size was the blank and where did he get it from. If you can get a better/closer pic of the grain, I'd be interested to see. I'm not sure about the dark black bits, looks a bit weird.

I don't know where people find such nice bits of wood. Whenever I have been to places like Yandles or Stiles and Bates I always find very normal looking bits or the interesting wood is in very small sizes. Maybe I always get there late ? ;)

wizer":1ozg350a said:
I don't know where people find such nice bits of wood. Whenever I have been to places like Yandles or Stiles and Bates I always find very normal looking bits or the interesting wood is in very small sizes. Maybe I always get there late ? ;)

Often the best figured wood is in the reject piles or the firewood. If it looks manky on the outside there's a fair chance that it will look good inside IME.

Pete

Yes I'm starting to realise that if I want interesting wood I'm going to have to go over to roughing out from green. I need to find a tree surgeon who will do some more work than normal with the chainsaw, in exchange for my (not-so) hard earned cash.

Look in the yellow pages for firewood merchants, Some of them will keep back interesting bits for you for a small fee. I have got a few burrs that way. Usually at the cost of something made for them. I am lucky as I live in the middle of the country where there is always wood lying around in hedges etc for me to forage but for me that's half the fun. In nearly 4 years of turning I can count the pieces of wood I have bought on one hand and have fingers left over

pete

Thanks guys, he is pleased with the bowl.
Bodrighy / that was the price of the blank.
Wizer / It roughly 8" by 4" / craft supplies from the old days, I have had a donation :wink:
I will try and get him to take a better pic, before he sells it.

Still a beaut’ Rich! But it’s changed so dramatically in colour? Or is that just the picture/ additional finish applied to the bowl?

Dan

Back