Setting up hand planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm very new to woodworking and having never had the fortune to take woodwork in the past I'm in need of hands on help in setting up my planes correctly.
Are there any day courses in the midlands where I could get advice or if not is there a Good Samaritan out there who would be willing to spend some time helping me? It's very frustrating trying to pick things up from scratch.

Not in the Midlands, but North Devon.

I have weekend sharpening courses and 5 day Tool Tuning courses. On these we do sharpening, grinding, plane fettling, and most importantly plane use.

Please see my website or face book.

David Charlesworth

Lots of Youtube videos on setting up planes. Appreciate there are a lot of different (and sometimes wrong) methods but if you stick to known individuals and companies you should be right, eg. Lie Nielsen, David (up there ^), Paul Sellers, etc.

Will give you a heads up at least, assuming you haven't already done this and I'm telling you how to suck an egg.

Grumpy gardener":1uzhsw81 said:
Hi there,
I'm very new to woodworking and having never had the fortune to take woodwork in the past I'm in need of hands on help in setting up my planes correctly.
Are there any day courses in the midlands where I could get advice or if not is there a Good Samaritan out there who would be willing to spend some time helping me? It's very frustrating trying to pick things up from scratch.

If you're remotely serious about woodworking then take one of Peter Sefton's short courses. You'll rocket up the first (and most important) part of the learning curve, save yourself months of frustrating experimentation, get a coherent and integrated set of directions instead of the mish mash of contradictory preaching you'll pick up from the internet, and prevent some expensive shopping errors that you'd be almost certain to make on your own.

What's more you'll get all those benefits direct from a master craftsman. Yes, there are a few master craftsmen on this forum, but there are also plenty of fantasists who are long on opinion but short on experience, and as a newcomer you'll find it difficult to tell them apart!

Good luck.

phil.p":umlwkrt3 said:
"there are also plenty of fantasists who are long on opinion but short on experience ..."
Pray do tell! :lol:

I think we've all got our list of candidates, and I suspect most feature many of the same names!

:roll:

I am far from an expert but if you want to tootle over this way Christmas week to chew the fat you would be welcome. I can certainly show you how to set up a plane and fettle it.

I am in Loughborough by the way.

Back