Setting spring supported planer blades with Axminster Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvestbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
Like others I have struggled setting the three blades using the jig Axminster supply. It does work but the springs are strong and my HSS blades always looked marked on the two pressure points. A fellow board member put up for sale the Axminster Delux magnetic setting jig which I purchased.

Firstly I checked my out table to the cutter housing block and decided it was accurate enough using a clock guage with magnetic base. I then tried setting It up with the blades on the springs it did not work at all well, again not impossible but no better than the original jig.

Next I removed all the springs bagged and labelled them should I ever need to revert back. The problem then is the blades can fall to the botton of the cutter block, however the magnetic base of my clock guage turned out to be excellent both to intially position them and recoverv them if necessary with the aid of a small screw driver. Once the Axminster jig has them you can simply turn of the magnetic base and remove. This was all quite easy after the intial practice. On completion I checked with a block wood or ruler if you prefer just to be sure, the results were consistant.

I should mention I had to do it twice because the first time I had left the out table fully up, it is best left so small adjustments can be made.

The honed blades where left unmarked, these had been sharpened using the Tormek jig I have also modified my Work Sharp to take this jig as the T7 is very slow removing HSS but is excellent for stropping.

Picture of Work Sharp and Tormek jig.

Worksharp_Torrmek-.jpg

Latest posts

Back