Selling Blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have come to terms with my wood obsession and I want to get rid of a load of it. It's good stuff, it's just too much to store constantly in my way.

I was wondering how you guys think I should prep it for sale. Should I make round blanks from the boards or cut it into squares? Either way, what sizes do you think will sell well? Smaller than 9/10" or go for larger?

I'm not interested in selling the boards as they are because I'm looking to maximise the cash flow.

I don't buy many blanks myself Tom but from what I see the guys at the club buying the bigger the better if that's any help. Not everyone has a bandsaw that can cope with larger pieces so blanking it first would probably make them more sellable as well as putting the price up for you. Don't forget if you blank them the smaller pieces can be also blanked as pen blanks, blanks for miniatures etc or bagged up together and sold that wayas bags of blanks for miniatures and light pulls etc. I use a lot of wood that is 2" or less in diameter and often raid my scrap box for bits when doing miniatures so don't throw any away...sell sell sell

Pete

There is obviously a demand for round blanks as there are so many suppliers offering them for sale! Maybe they are aimed at beginners or turners without the space for a bandsaw?

I much prefer to buy wood that isn't cut into neat blanks (well, I actually I really prefer to scrounge wood, rather than buy it!!!)

A 12" square piece 3" thick is far more useful than a 12" round blank 3" thick. I can either use it to make a bowl or platter, or I can slice it up into blanks for boxes, pen pots, etc, or even into mini-planks for use to make into flat work boxes.

However, I would suggest that large blanks suitable for bowls or platters would probably be more popular than small ones (12" and under). I know several members at my turning club bemoan the fact that it is difficult to buy large dry blanks (over 14" square) that can be reliably used when they need to make a special projects (wedding present etc) in a hurry!

Don't forget that any small pieces of interesting dry wood left over from your slicing operations may well be of interest to pen turners.

tekno.mage

Thanks Pete. That's a good idea about pen blanks, I hadn't thought of that. I like it.

I know that whenever I've looked for blanks that the bigger stuff is harder to find. But then it occurred to me that there might not be the market for them.

Thanks Kym. You make a good point, tho it occurs to me that a 12" square blank, would probably command the same price as a 12" round blank or at least not much more. It's a tough call.

I won't be buying anything as postage is likely to be high, but my preference is always for square blanks. I lucky to have a bandsaw though.
It gives more options and lets you do square edged bowls etc.
Marten Pidgen pretty much always sells square blanks as it saves prep. time and this means that they are can be sold cheaper.

personally my prefference would be for planks as is, as that would give more flexibility as to how they are cut up later.

also i hear what you are saying re maximising cash flow but i wouldnt pay any more for 6 12"x12" blanks than i would for a 6'x12" plank (but then i'm probably not your target market)

best bet is probably to prepare them round and sell them on ebay (not bforgeting to add a sob story about why you are selling them ;)

I get most of my blanks from the 2 clubs I go to, either in log form, or plank or prepared blank. But always cheap, I recently bought an 8-9" by 3" spalted beech bowl blank for £3. Or my latest wip piece was a split log of unknown wood for £1

Thanks guys. I've planned to spend the weekend sorting out some stick for ebay and I'll test the market with rounds and squares. I guess I'm aiming at new turners who just want to buy a few blanks. Those that have moved onto turning from green logs would not be interested in what I have any way.

I have 2 great big planks of sycamore 4" thick, 12" wide by 12ft long that will be the bulk of my 'stock'. But I also have a bunch of other stuff that needs to go.

wizer":1vt65p71 said:
I have 2 great big planks of sycamore 4" thick, 12" wide by 12ft long that will be the bulk of my 'stock'. But I also have a bunch of other stuff that needs to go.

Pity you don't live closer, the sycamore would be very useful but carriage on that would be too much for me. 24 12 x 12" blanks that thick would be ideal for platters for pyrographers. Good luck with this, judging by the number of blanks available on eBay you shouldn't have too much problem. Check out Scottish hardwoods, they do sacks of blanks by weight I think at about £30 + £13 postage if I recall. Might be something else to think of for the smaller pieces

pete

Thanks Pete. I sold a few 'packs' last year which seemed to be popular but I became lazy ;) I'm going to make up a few selection boxes, a few round blanks and a few square and see how they go. Not looking forward to processing the sycamore boards tho :shock: :wink:

Couple (or more) points Tom.....

If you're going to sell on ebay, give the weight of each blank and/or offer them for sale in groups of 2 or 3 and let people 'build' an order that you can courier - use Interparcel and you'll send 20kg or so for £8.50.

Don't forget the Pyrographers - if the Sycamore's nice and white, they love the stuff - cut it into name plates etc, or just 8mm thick strips.

Don't forget spindle blanks - they sell quite well too.

Finally - Pen blanks, can command a good price for the amount of wood involved, but only for something a bit different - spalted/pippy etc or unusual woods. For mundane stuff, Oak/Ash/Sycamore etc - try mixed packs - 2 each of 5 varieties, not a big selling price, but they do sell.

Cheers,

Chris.

I've obviously got a different view on wood. I'd buy (have bought) a plank of decent sycamore - for furniture. I wouldn't buy a blank (for your God's sake, it's a weed with bark) for turning.
Must be a regional thing :?: .

Latest posts

Back