Self Centering Dowel Jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John

I think all Norm's tools from every episode are listed on a fans site on the web somewhere, a quick google search should turn them up

If it's still available one of the best used to be the Record/Marples M148 as it could be used with really long bars (or just silver steel rod) and multiple heads to do long work and it was brilliant for "stepping down" the timber. It's probably the only jig of it's type which makes dowelling across the middle of a shelf or carcass side possible (so you can dowel instead of using those nasty old dado heads :? ) It doesn't self-centre, but that's no problem as it registers against side stops

Scrit

I came across a couple of things that might be interesting:

http://www.joint-genie.co.uk/

http://www.dowelmax.com/

A stand at the Warwick show caught my eye last year selling something like (or perhaps it was) the dowelmax, a nice bit of self-centering engineering. I can't remember who they were but I bought a couple more Carroll drum sanders off them. That show's next month so it may be a good place to look if you're not too far away.

regards, Colin

I agree with what Scrit said about the Record 148 jig - probably the most versatile jig ever made. I made up a set of 3ft rods for mine when I needed to dowel some very large work.

I don't do much dowelling since getting a biscuit jointer, but I still use the Record 148 jig quite a lot for drilling the holes for knock-down fittings (the metal cross dowel and threaded rod type).

I don't think they make it any more but if you ever see one second-hand my advice would be to buy it.

Paul

Funny you should say that... I found this site too that has some nice stuff...

*shudders*

... more stuff to tempt me. I'm going to need a bigger home just to house all the stuff I buy lol.

In Alf's post the Record jig on show at the link is in its standard form with guide bushes for 1/4" (6.3mm) and 3/8" (9.5mm) dowels and 6" rods. Also available as accessories were 15/16" (8mm) guide bushes and rods for 12" and 18" boards. They later also supplied 10mm guide bushes.

If you can find one with these additional bits (particularly the guide bushes) they increase its usefulness considerably.

As the jig is no longer made, I don't know if anyone else manufactures guide bushes that might fit.

Paul

My 148s came complete with 1/4 - 5/16 (8mm) - 3/8in as well as 6 - and 10mm guide bushes. All the later ones (1980s onwards I think) seemed to. The extra long rods can be made by purchasing some silver steel rod from an engineers's merchants. I suppose if you needed more you might want to befriend someone with a metalworking lathe - bushes for some joinery, say? They are not particularly difficult to turn.
Scrit

I have the excellent Record jig. Here`s a slightly diffrent application for the tool. I used it to accurately drill the 1/4" holes for the tuners of the mandolins I finished building last year. I used the the tuners themselves to setup the jig first.

dowel_jig.jpg

setting_up_dowel_jig.jpg

drilling_machine_holes.jpg

rough_sawn_pegheads.jpg

Hi Bob,

I think your post illustrates very well why the Record 148 is so good. Because all the components come apart and it can be used with or without the fences, or even without the rods if you clamp just the bush carriers to the work, it can be used for so many things other than dowelling. I bought mine back in the 1970's primarily to do dowelling but since then I think I have used it just as much for drilling holes for other purposes where the holes needed to be accurately lined up.

Like me you seem to have bought additional bush carriers. While you could probably manage with the two supplied, I have found that having additional carriers simplifies many tasks.

Paul

Alf":2x7yp6mn said:
I can't help but sit here and wonder why no-one's making the Record variety anymore. :?

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

Probably for the same reasons that all the major firms stopped making decent planes until a few smart firms (eg Clifton, Lie Nielson and Veritas) realised that there were loads of people willing to pay good money for excellent products.

That's why it is important for us to keep banging on about it when we see good products disappear and hope that those manufacturers who read, or are members of, this Forum pick up on it and start manufacturing them again.

With the current debate about re-organising some of the topic headings, perhaps we need one for "Manufacturing opportunities" :wink: :wink:

Paul

Alf":176bxzuk said:
I can't help but sit here and wonder why no-one's making the Record variety anymore. :?

Cheers, Alf

Didn't Irwin buy out Record... I may be wrong (my memory is awful) but I think I found that out after looking around for a Record bench vice. It's a shame nobody else is making them under licence like Axminster have done with the Axminster No.1 Odd Jobs measuring tool.

I can vouch for the accuracy and usefulness of the Joint-Genie and Dowelmax. Both do exactly what it says on the tin. Until I had used these I never had success with dowels despite what felt like trying every jig on the market (except the Record!). There were always slight offsets and inaccuracies that caused me to give up on dowels completely. Since using this pair of jigs I have rediscovered just how useful a dowel can be in many circumstances and also that there are occasions when none of the substitues (eg biscuits, blind M/Ts etc will do).

grumanpi":1u30h21e said:
has anyone got a copy they can send me or direct me to a site just brought one off ebay with no booklet, also anyone know of any spare parts going anywhere thanks.

Which one do you have?

Because if it is the record one I might have a spare one in the workshop and as for spares, have a look on ebay or old tool shops if you have any near you.
Not much about.

Back