Self centering dowel jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Transatlantic.

Is this any clearer?

plywood.jpg

You need no joinery on the upright legs, there is enough stregth with glue and screws to the plywood.

Mike.

Attachments

• plywood.jpg
    plywood.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 121
ah, I see what you mean. I wanted to dado it because I think it looks cleaner and hides the end grain of the ply wood.

...I know it's only a shop stand, but it's all practise

transatlantic":ysq9lcy1 said:
ah, I see what you mean. I wanted to dado it because I think it looks cleaner and hides the end grain of the ply wood.

...I know it's only a shop stand, but it's all practise

Hello,

I don't think you mean dado, I think you want to put the ply in a groove, or a rebate. Incidentally dado is usually called housing in Britain, though we know what you mean.

Mike.

This being a UK forum I'd really like the term dado banned :evil: :evil: :evil:

Its a housing old chap !

edit: Mike beat me to it

So a dado rail is a housing rail...

:wink:

Pete

I understand a housing to be cut across the grain and a groove to be cut along it. Could be well wrong though!

Like the OP, I am also looking for a self-centering dowel jig. Despite its limited application and the shortage of "extras" - in comparison to the Woodpecker jig, I think the self-centering jig available from Banggood is worth a punt (I can't post a link sorry) Just google: "banggood dowelling jig". - it's only £47.

I've had a lot of electronic components from these folks and I've always found them to be good value.
The construction seems robust enough and the materials used are (apparently) solid enough. I am particularly interested because it's got the three sets of bushings.
As I said, I'm aware of the drawbacks - but it does seem reasonable eh?

There's the Woodpecker version in action to be seen on Youtube.

Thats pretty much the same thing I posted from ebay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Centerin ... 2699741867

Although it looks good, it still doesnt really help with the following kind of scenario :

dowel-joint-exploded.jpg

Where you're building a frame from small, say 2x2 pieces, which I find I'm wanting to do most of (like attaching rails to legs for a table). It'll be good with the left most piece, but awkward with the right most piece as there is very little area for the jig to reference. I guess you could bunch more than one piece togeather to give you more surface, but it's not ideal.

It looks like it's only good for these kinds of joints where you have more width :

end_to_edge_dowel_joint.gif

Transatlantic, if the discussion is still about a utilitarian workshop stand, there's a simple option for your first picture - clamp the parts together and drill holes through both pieces, from the outside. Glue some dowels and knock them in. Flush off the ends when the glue is dry.

This way you can even deliberately angle the dowels, like skew nailing, which you can't do with any commercial jig.

AndyT":1tvkmh7u said:
Transatlantic, if the discussion is still about a utilitarian workshop stand, there's a simple option for your first picture - clamp the parts together and drill holes through both pieces, from the outside. Glue some dowels and knock them in. Flush off the ends when the glue is dry.

This way you can even deliberately angle the dowels, like skew nailing, which you can't do with any commercial jig.

Thanks Andy. I had thought of that, but was also looking for ways to make it hidden

Back