Seleg.Sonnethal & Co (London) - chuck fitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OW_Turn

Reaction score
Hi, newby here with probably the first of many questions. I have recently bought a large old Seleg.Sonnethal & Co (London) lathe and I am currently stripping and cleaning it. I can't find much info on the Web about this brand, so I am hoping that someone can help me with info on the face plate pictured below.
IMG_2837.jpeg

Does anyone know if this unscrews on this type of lathe to reveal a screw drive where a chuck can be fitted? I haven't tried too hard yet, but was hoping for a steer before I start swinging off it!

Many thanks,
Oscar

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpeg
    IMG_2837.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 799
Be very surprised if it DIDN'T unscrew, but having said that, it may be a pig to remove. Try soaking with Plusgas (or nick some diesel out of you car if it's an oil burner). Then find a way to hold the shaft still and try a strap wrench to shift it. Whatever you do, don't rely on the back gear to stop the shaft turning.
If the strap wrench doesn't work, maybe drill a couple of holes in the FP, put in a couple of bolts so you can put a lever between them and try to shock the FP free. Good luck, it looks an interesting beast.

A few years ago I bought a rusty old lathe and had a similar problem getting the chuck off. As Dick says, a sudden shock is what it needs. There are some pictures of how I did mine here

post789287.html#p789287

Back