see if this works photo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefella83

Established Member
Reaction score

right ive got it now so cheers people.
all i need to do is down size the pic before sending.
by the way thats my youngest son next to a rather large lump of beech

TF 83, Ok, so come on....

When are you going to turn a slice of that monster? :shock:

Couldn't you find any thing a little bigger? :lol:

If it ain't spalted :p reject it and send it back!

Regards,

Dicky Mint

yes that piece of beech well the whole trunk actully in some time in its life has had some sort of desease or fungal infection .
you can see that the heart wood is a different colour and under close inspection it is dark red/orange with hundreds of small cavities filled with somthing like cotton wool.
i have several small lumps in the shed but i dont want to turn anything out of it yet untill i can identify exactly what it is.
there is some spalting in the upper most pieces of the trunk but all the funky coloured wood even though it is filled with small holes is solid not soft or dozed.
when i find out that the wood will not kill me or make me grow a second head im gonna chuck it on the lathe.

Just wear a goom mask and use an extractor, the fungi become dormant once the wood dries but if you get the spores into your warm wet lungs it can cause problems. You may well find it easier to turn the wood green (wet) then allow to dry before finish turning.

Jason

Back