Sedgewick 571 morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrayeast

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone have a photo of a sedgewick 571 with the cast iron base instead of the cabinet style stand?
I'v been trying to find a pic on the internet with no avail!

Cheers

Murray

murrayeast":uekrewq1 said:
Hi

Does anyone have a photo of a sedgewick 571 with the cast iron base instead of the cabinet style stand?
I'v been trying to find a pic on the internet with no avail!

Cheers

Murray

I didn't know there were two different bases :? I thought the cabinet housed the counter weight.

But here is a pic of mine

404633290_79c517a089_o.jpg

404633286_67d0a9747e_o.jpg

405673391_718f10a38f_o.jpg

Thanks for those pics. I believe the model before your model had a fully cast iron base like some of the older traditional machines. They must be quite rare now as i cant find a picture anywhere!!

murray

murrayeast":syzowb9c said:
I believe the model before your model had a fully cast iron base like some of the older traditional machines. They must be quite rare now as I cant find a picture anywhere!!
One of the problems is that in the early days Sedgwick sold through certain machinery dealers, notably Parry's, who rebranded their machines. Thus the LK rip saw and the 3/4in hollow chisel mortiser were both rebranded "Sundial". Todd's of Burnley (a saw doctor service and small machinery dealer who still exist) also sold the same mortiser under their own name.

This machine had a sheet metal base whose sides which tapered towards the top. Part of the reason I believe this to be the forerunner of the current 571 is that upper part of the Todd/Sundial is identical to the modern offering except for the motor, and the base features a one handwheel control for both traverse movements whereas all other manufacturers I know of in the 1960s used two separate handwheels.

This is the machine in question:

Sundial-Sedgwick-1.jpg

and the Todd version:

Todd-Sedgwick.jpg

both illustrations from mid-1960s catalogues.

Post-war lightweight machines rarely had cast iron bases and I have seen a Todd with what appears to be a sheet metal tapered base. Sedgwick machines seem to have followed the post-war Bursgreen lead and used cast-iron tops on sheet metal bases as did many other smaller machinery makers of the period 1950 to 1980 (e.g. Multico, Startrite, Dodd, Whitehead, Cooksley, etc.). Most of the lightweight Sagar-Bursgreen machines also followed this pattern, although Bursgreen did make a chance in the late 1950s to a cast-iron "tub" on top of a smaller sheet metal base for certain classes of machine - a design feature familiar to anyone who has used an AGS/BGS/BRT/BGP-family table saw or a BER/BER2 spindle moulder

Scrit

Thanks Scrit, that is probably what i was looking for then!
Even without a cast base, it looks a lot more stable than the latter model!

murray

I doubt there's much in it, especially as the later model has four through-drilled lugs to permit the machine being bolted to the floor. I've only seen a few of the earlier jobbies around, so probably not that common, either

Scrit

I know this thread is very old, but I bought an early Sedgwick 571 the other day, and the base is of cast iron rather than steel.
I don't really want to contradict Scrit (in no small part because I am a fan of so much that you have written on the various forums and am very grateful for the things I have learned from reading the posts from Scrit amongst others!)
But it is most definitely cast iron! Granted, in those catalogue cuts from the Parry's catalogue it looks every bit welded steel.... But it ain't.

Latest posts

Back