Secrets of plywood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Well this probably is no suprise to you guys, but it amazed me today.

I was in a shop which sold ethnic type accessories and on the wall they had a gorgeous wooden framed mirror. The only way to describe it was that it was fish pond shaped (kidney dish shape) and the wood used for the frame was a mixture of several different colours. The wood looked like it had been carved and sanded, then delicately stained so that random bits of the wood were a different finish.

I asked how much it was and found that it was just part of the shop decor, but she said that her friend had made it with a bit of plywood and an angle grinder! :shock:

Basicaly he'd just jigsawed out the required shape of plywood, then gouged away at the wood at different depths which exposed different kinds of wood. Then apparently he just finished it with varnish and this broght out the various colours of the wood. It was lovely to look at and looked a lot more exotic and professional that it really was.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Or could you tell me what sort of varnish would bring this colour out?

Thanks,

Calv.

I've seen panelled doors done this way and beautiful organic looking art nouveau style window frames as well. The chap doing them was using an angle grinder with a sculpting blade in it. He finished of with three or four coats of some good quality yacht varnish.

Drew

there is a lady that does similar seen her a few places,was at festival of wood last year. makes mainly mirrors carves and stains them there is a website but wouldnt have clue what it would be

Hi Calv
Ply,can be used in lots of ways. I have seen some very good pieces made turning ply on a lathe. not had time to try myself but when I do lookout for the post.

There's someone here in the southwest who's virtually made his whole house like this!... :roll:

I wanted to do a project in veneers. Well I suppose Ply' is veneers

I've just started a project, after seing a guy who does simmillar projects in Ply' I decided to use it.

I'm using severall pieces of 9mm Ply'. I'm going to dye colour the pieces, one blue one red. Then glue them together.

Hopefully I'll not only get the veneers showing but the dyed colours as well.

The problem is, there are a number of small gaps in the leaves. Can anyone suggest a filler.

Ray 8)

Latest posts

Back