Second hand Hegner or AWFS 18?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnandp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy my first scroll saw. As with all things in life, money has a controlling factor in what I can buy. I have been watching a well known auction site for second hand hegners as the general advice from this site is that is the machine to buy, and it would seem in general between 300-500 pounds will see me a second hegner depending on condition. However for similar money I could purchase a new AWFS 18 from Axminster, which I understand to be a clone of a hegner. As buying from an auction site can be a bit of a gamble, would the wise people of this site be able to advise on this?
Many thanks.
John

In your shoes I would go for the Hegner, there is no comparison between the clone and the real thing, it does not even come close. The build quality is aweful. Look at recent post on this forum. Phil has just got rid of his AWFS18 and got himeself a Hegner, read his comments. I would seriously save a bit more and go for the hegner, even one 20 years old will run as sweet as a nut. If you could use an AWFS18 for 20 minutes and then use a hegner you would soon see the difference.

if it helps i sent my Awfs18 back as i really didn't like it at all, i have used a hegner too which in my opinion is far better, but none of them are as good as my Delta saws (i have 2 ) for what i want to cut anyway..

Hi John and welcome , I am another Hegner user and would advise anyone to buy one if they possibly can .Good luck in your search .

Hi John,
Definitely a Hegner! As Geoff said, I bought an AWFS18 last summer, only used it for a short while on thinner stock and then it was packed away as I became ill and the garage was just too darn cold.
I took it out again a few weeks ago and tried to cut some toy tractors out of 38mm thick pine and then realised something was very wrong. The blade was much farther forward at the bottom than the front resulting in awful uneven cuts. e.g. If I tried to cut a circle I would end up with a cone shape. Puzzles became wedged together and would not come apart. The problem also resulted in the workpiece being snatched upward rather violently.
There was no way to alter the alignment (as it should be Ok when manufactured) and I had not thought to check this on purchase as none of the books or the manual mentioned it as it should not be an issue.
Axy took it back to have a look at it and it came back worse than ever. The arms were out of alignment, the first problem had not been remedied, and the blade was bending to the left massively.
The vibration was awful and the saw was basically unuseable. I simply could not believe the state of it.
Anyway, after a few discussions Axy have taken the saw back and I declined a replacement as I had lost faith in the product.
I emailed Geoff who kindly gave me the benefit of his knowledge and recommended the Hegner and my wife kindly allowed me to order one (just to shut me up I think).
I finally got to play on it properly for the first time yesterday and all I can say is WOW! Ignore the hype about the AWFS18 being made in the same factory as the Hegner. If it's true then the Hegner is made by the day staff and the AWFS is made by the cleaners playing with the manufacturing equipment when the factory closes! The quality of the Hegner is immeasurably superior. It runs beautifully, quietly, perfectly accurately and smoothly and it cut through 3/4 inch mahogany for me better than the AWFS18 cut through 3/4 inch pine.
I know that there are many on here who are happy with their AWFS and I may have just had a really bad model. Had I not used both I really wouldn't have known just how much better the Hegner is. It exudes quality and I had a massive smile on my face just taking it out of the box.
Wait a little longer, save your money and get the Hegner, you certainly won't regret it.
Kind regards,
Phil

Second hand Hegners fetch £300-£500!! Are you serious!! I've got a Hegner that I rarely use, think I may sell it! Stopped using it when I got a second hand Nu-Tool 26 inch. I know it has its knockers, but its an old one, really heavy, and bolted to a welded angle iron and plate steel table. Bit cold on the old knees tucked under in this weather like, but the extra inches are really useful for big work. Look out for my hegner up for sale on here!! :)

Many thanks for the replies. I think you all confirmed my thoughts anyway but thanks for taking the time to reply. Back to looking for hegner!!
Regards
John

Back