Sealing chipboard floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetloh

Established Member
Reaction score
The extension to my workshop is coming on apace - roof on and tiled, windows in, plastered and new chipboard floor down over screed in the existing area. I need to now think about how I seal this so that it does not get too grimy and absorbent. Any suggestions chaps?

I will post some pics when things have moved on a bit including fully ducted extraction which I can't wait to get.

Jim

Yes, floor paint is a possibility. I can see that unibond would do the job too. I would be good to hear from someone who has tried these things if there is anyone out there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jim

My shop floor is plywood rather than chipboard. I used 2 coats Screwfix water based sealer/varnish and 3 years on it is holding up well.
I used the satin version and it does not get slippery when wet.

I don't think they still sell the exact same stuff now but there is bound to be an equivalent.

Bob

I also have chipboard flooring in my double garage. I plan to use this epoxy floor paint.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10KGS-GARAGE-INDU ... 911.c0.m14

The supplier has confirmed that this paint is suitable for use on chipboard. Apparently it is very tough and used in warehouses, factories etc where there is a lots of heavy traffic like fork lifts and pallet trucks. This is only what I have been told though and can't give my own opinion until later this year once I have completed my garage.

Cheers,
Sam

Thanks Sam, it sounds good. Might be ideal as I am likely to be wheeling machinery around on it.

Jim

I have chipboad over concrete and used a non-slip floor paint. Works a treat and is still good after several years. As it's coloured it looks good too.

regards

Brian

I asked my bro in law - he's a joiner in N. Z. where domestic floors are normally chipboard, and he says water based polyurethane is hard enough for domestic use, but if you want really hard go for 2 part. The advantages of water based are easy clean up and low fumes.

Back