Sealant & adhesive solution?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuffys

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good Sealant & adhesive that I could use to seal/glue pvc piping and waxed wood. I am making blast gates and waxed all the sides and now the sealant is not adhering. Am I going to have to strip back the wax?
Thanks in advance for all advice.
Mike.

Thanks Pedronicus
Have been planning and building this dust extraction system for months, (procrastination and life getting in the way). Watched that video months ago, forgot about him using hot glue. Genius! do you think it will adhere to the waxed wood?

Attachments

• IMG_3488.JPG
    IMG_3488.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
One can but try. The heat in the glue may well help with the wax. Perhaps a test joining of two scraps of the materials together would be useful. Best to degrease and perhaps roughen the surface of the pvc though.

Suspect you will have to do some experimental runs.
PVC pipe is best joined with PVC cement , but that will not join to wood. Wood glues will not join with PVC. Wood glues ( epoxy, PVA etc ) will not adhere to a waxed surface properly.
You could fit a small PVC flange to the PVC pipe ( with solvent cement ) and screw the flange to the waxed wood

The no risk route is to sand away the waxed area you need to glue.
Any short cut route that doesn't remove the wax will fail.

Back