Scroll virgin!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original thread about these footswitches, with Phil's drawing, is here. Take note of the warning about the insulation and polarity, but otherwise wiring the switch is straightforward.

I'm sure I have mentioned this before, but I bought the one from Amazon and after a while the microswitch became faulty. I bought a new microswitch from Maplin for a couple of quid but got in touch with the seller anyway and they sent me a complete new footswitch, no questions asked. I've bought a number of items from the same dealer since.

Slight issue with regards to a foot pedal - which I can fully see being a huge advantage - is me and my relationship with electrics... :/ I'll ask around my mates, someone must be less ham fisted than me.

My electrical skills are literally around the plug wiring level, sadly. I've had a hunt around to find out how they connect to the saw, but no joy. Do you plug the saw into them, or wire them into the motor?

In the end I bought an Olson assorted pack, a dozen each of No.s 2,5 and 7, skip tooth, for £12.99 with free delivery, from Hobbies. Hopefully that's enough to get me started. I've been reading loads more of the threads here, seen some amazing work, and feel inspired to learn. What a great forum!

You end up with two leads coming from the footswitch, one fitted with a 13A socket and the other with a 13A plug. Plug the footswitch into a wall socket and your scroll saw into the footswitch socket.

You might possibly have a kettle type plug on the Hegner, in which case you would need the corresponding socket on the footswitch instead of the 13A socket. Obviously, ignore this bit if your Hegner has a standard 13A plug.

As Martin said,

I was in the process of typing a similar method, but Martin’s typing skills/speed are above mine.

Also I am using Windows 8.1. This site and Windows 8.1, do not get on very well, I get the message (this page cannot be displayed) at least a couple of times on nearly every visit.

Take care.

Chris R.

Take care.

ChrisR.

Cheers, that makes sense. Adverts really oughtn't assume prior knowledge; I can't be the only silly person out there. :)

ChrisR":11v9kh14 said:
As Martin said,

I was in the process of typing a similar method, but Martin’s typing skills/speed are above mine.

Also I am using Windows 8.1. This site and Windows 8.1, do not get on very well, I get the message (this page cannot be displayed) at least a couple of times on nearly every visit.

Take care.

Chris R.

Take care.

ChrisR.

I don't have the problem at all. I'm on WIN8.1 as well.

phil.p":285l4rdh said:
ChrisR":285l4rdh said:
As Martin said,

Take care.

Chris R.

Take care.

ChrisR.

I don't have the problem at all. I'm on WIN8.1 as well.

Maybe I am the wrong person to condemn Windows 8.1, as I am completely, non-computer savvy.

I struggled with XP, but 8.1, Grrrrrrrrrrrr. :evil:

Sorry for off topic post.

Chris R.

Thought I'd try something I've always fancied doing first, as the supplied blade wasn't going to last too long, and chopped into a hardback book, which chucked up a load of dust! Thank god I use a decent mask. My Olson blades arrived in two days, fit a treat even though the saw is designated as only taking pinned. I had a little play around with some scrap ply yesterday and these were the results. I'm pleased to say I'm yet to snap a blade. Tell you what, everyone was right, it is addictive. Don't think I've actually enjoyed cutting wood this much before! Hope the pics post...

PM8BOXS

E0Vmq04

So here are a couple of things I did after spending a while doing spirals and straight cuts. Pretty shonky but I'm looking forward to improving and taking on more complex projects.

E0Vmq04

PM8BOXS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 692
I'm not sure what shonky means, but they don't look too shabby at all. Cut another 10 different ones and then do them all again and you've got enough to decorate your christmas tree. ;)

Cheers! No, on about 3/4. It's really nasty, flimsy ply so no resistance to the blade, plus I went super slow, so everything took forever.

I wasn't sure what to do regarding speed Jamie, so I went full throttle. Not sure if that was a good or bad thing!

I tried it full whack but due to the nature of the ply it was too much and I found myself going too fast and missing lines. I'm guessing that's down to being new to it... And squinting a lot :) I've been kidding myself my eye sights ok for the last few years but I have to face facts and either get some glasses or, as mentioned elsewhere, a large magnifying panel. I'm definitely getting a little workstation light of some description. I'm going to pop down to maplins later.

with thin ply you are best to turn the speed right dow til you are cutting sloooow, then it's easier to stay on lines :) I use pound store reading glasses, you can get them in different strengths of magnification

Latest posts

Back