Scroll saw table at an angle or flat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoggy49

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Its that time of year when I can get ready to move out of the garden/house maintenance mode and back to the workshop. Having got a new seat to work from, Id like advice re the angle (or not) of the scroll table. When looking at you tubes there seems to be a lot of variation what's the consensus on here?

flat and square to the blade.
I assume you mean tilting the entire saw towards yourself to make it easier to see, not using the saw for angled cuts.
in which case flat and set your chair height so you are above the table, (typically around belly or crotch level for the table) . tilting the saw means you are pushing up hill, thats just hard work. :)

Yep tilting the whole machine was my thought, as seen on some instructional you-tubes. I was thinking it might be easier on the shoulders and neck?

Chas

not really, you are still looking down on the bed. i see where you are coming from though, having worked on a draughtmans tables.
but then, I still stand at my saw (just about young enough to do a few hours) with it set around belly level I don't have any issues.

I have always had my table fully level, to be fair I have never tried using it with the whole saw angled but reckon I would find it awkward? :)

I've used it tilted for much the reasons the OP states and had no problems.
Equally I've used it flat also.
But I don't spend hours at a time at it - one hour max usually.

Brian

Sawing on a table/bench I always tilt saw but when saw is on a stand keep it flat but use a high stool so I can look down on workpiece

Thanks folks'

From whats been said it seems as though the main thing is to have a good view of the work/saw blade. I think I'll build something temporary but adjustable, and see what suits me best. But good advice, and thanks to all.

Chas

Hi , I used my Hegner on a stand in my workshop with a magnifying light .
got a new Excaliber for the house also as it is much less noisy this I angled at about 22.5 degrees much better for sawing but blade changing harder, got the angle and info on some US site. I sit down in a spare room and cut away
for hours
Regards Roy Ames

Hi, Must add that the Magnifying light in the house set fire to a bag attatched to a belt sander that was on a shelf by the window, the sun was not all that hot , I keep a bag over the lens when not in use now

Roy Ames

summertime":3mt86e4a said:
Hi, Must add that the Magnifying light in the house set fire to a bag attatched to a belt sander that was on a shelf by the window, the sun was not all that hot , I keep a bag over the lens when not in use now

Roy Ames

That is indeed worth pointing out. The magnifying lamp I recently bought from Maplins comes with a hinged cover for the Mag glass and now I realise how worthwhile that is. :)

Back