Screwfix special offers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knot Competent wrote:
I've studied Machine Mart's website, and can't find any mention of VAT-free items or offers. I'd appreciate someone telling me about it, as there's a bench sander I'd like to buy.

You have to be on their mailing list and they will then send you the offers when they occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The current offer expires 7th Dec, so if you get on their mailing list quickly, they'll probably send you the offer (the e-mail includes a user specific bar code which you need to get the discount).

If not, just wait till next time - the offer seems to repeat most months!

Cordy":1389243t said:
When-ever I go to Screwfix I never speak

Letterhead with my details; plus clearly written what I want, item, code and price

Hand over letterhead pointing to order
They say 'What name is it' I point to top of letterhead
'Postcode ?' again point to letterhead -- then I present the correct cash -- then shake of head when they half-heartedly try to sell me something remotely connected to what I am buying

Collection bay here I come.... :lol:

Personally I find that quite rude. What is wrong with speaking to the staff? You can still say "No thanks" when they offer you something else.

I'd agree with that. I find all the staff in my local Screwfix to be perfectly pleasant. If you don't like the company or its staff then you should go elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, all I intended was to tell people about some good Screwfix offers. It was not my intention to cause a rumpus about post codes and pensioners. Anyhow as per original post - Screwfix do seem to have some good offers on 18V Li Ion combi drills by DeWalt and Hitachi, if anyone's interested.

To Knot Competent - The Machine Mart VAT free offer applies to ALL Clarke products and closes on 7th December. If you want to use my code then PM me and I shall email the details to you. You are very welcome to have it, but be quick please. If I don't hear from you in the next few days I will start another post offering it to forum members so that it doesn't go to waste.

K

Thanks GO, that's a kind offer. I've registered my e-mail address with Machine Mart, and hope to get deluged with offers tomorrow. If I hear nothing in 24 hours I'll take you up on it tomorrow evening. And thanks again.

Penny":6i82ytam said:
Cordy":6i82ytam said:
When-ever I go to Screwfix I never speak

Letterhead with my details; plus clearly written what I want, item, code and price

Hand over letterhead pointing to order
They say 'What name is it' I point to top of letterhead
'Postcode ?' again point to letterhead -- then I present the correct cash -- then shake of head when they half-heartedly try to sell me something remotely connected to what I am buying

Collection bay here I come.... :lol:

Personally I find that quite rude. What is wrong with speaking to the staff? You can still say "No thanks" when they offer you something else.

I agree a 100%. Use to work in a Builder Merchants, a few different branches, and couldn't stand people with a attitude like that. Sorry to balance it out tho, I come on this site every night to have a read up and the wealth of knowledge and support is amazing.

Unfortunately I've worked retail in the past and experienced all sorts from the general public. As a result I'm quite courteous to shop staff myself, also I quite enjoy having a dig at other customers that are being unduly rude to shop staff.

I am purely diy and hobby so my take on screwfix may not apply to professionals.

For small items and consumables (screws, brackets, nuts, bolts, conduit etc) they seem about a quarter of the price of B&Q, Homebase etc - eg: a box of screws vs a bag of 25 for the same price. I have a small workshop overflowing with part packets in the hope that one day it will be just what I need to finish a job. For larger items (£25+) there may be a small saving but not so much.

I think the reason is simple - the public can easily buy larger ticket items (drills, planers, jigsaws etc) on the web. People on this forum and in the trade tend to buy tools that will provide decent service/spares etc - but a week's usage by a tradesman equates to 5 years diy use. Hence price, not quality wins.

A digression - for most of the week the sheds have to heat, staff, maintain, insure, pay rent and rates etc on a 30 - 100000 sq ft shed with only a handful of customers in the store. A hugely expensive fixed cost they can only cover by making high gross margins. Toolstation/Screwfix operate from sites approx 25% of the size with what seems like a steady flow of business throughout the week.

Much of the public judge the products on appearance, colour, impulse etc. They don't have the knowledge to easily differentiate products technically, or confidence to go into a "trade" supplier.

I'm sorry, theres some bad attitude toward Screwfix here and the guy who refuses to speak to them, wow. Those that moan about them will surely remember the days of wanting some fittings and having to buy from B and Q and pay through the nose for a tiny blister pack. So well worth putting up with some "inconvenience" IMO to get a good service. My only reservation about Screwfix is their propensity to not have items in stock - now thats annoying!!

A Toolstation has just opened this week in my hometown, right near Screwfix. That's bye bye Screwfix for me.

When they first started, they guaranteed everything in stock. Then they increased their stock lines and I agree that it is rare now that everything I want is in stock. Can be infuriating. Always found the staff very good in the stores I use and not had a problem. We also have a Toolstation close by and the difference in price on some items can be significant but not all one way although Toolstation tends to be the cheaper.

porker":j82lvbin said:
When they first started, they guaranteed everything in stock. Then they increased their stock lines and I agree that it is rare now that everything I want is in stock. Can be infuriating. Always found the staff very good in the stores I use and not had a problem. We also have a Toolstation close by and the difference in price on some items can be significant but not all one way although Toolstation tends to be the cheaper.

Toolstation are generally cheaper i agree. I need 4 x 165 degree kitchen cabinet hinges. Just checked and they are £4.99 a pair at Screwfix-unknown brand. Toolstation are £4.30 a pair for Hafele ones.

Toolstation was started by the same family that started Screwfix before selling to the Kingfisher group. I was once told that Kingfisher overlooked putting a clause in the sale to stop the original owners from starting a new business with the same model and crucially not being allowed to set up in direct competition nearby. Don't know how true that is but the same family have now sold Toolstation to Travis Perkins. I wonder if they will start again or just retire with all the money they must have made?

skipdiver":1b4o2fnj said:
Toolstation was started by the same family that started Screwfix before selling to the Kingfisher group. I was once told that Kingfisher overlooked putting a clause in the sale to stop the original owners from starting a new business with the same model and crucially not being allowed to set up in direct competition nearby. Don't know how true that is but the same family have now sold Toolstation to Travis Perkins. I wonder if they will start again or just retire with all the money they must have made?
Heard similar but that they had a 2 year clause which they abided by.

Wow, what a thread! Life's too short right! The guy who doesn't talk I am assuming that's a joke and doesn't really do that?! I prefer the women to the men in screwfix or indeed anywhere as they are generally far more helpful, who cares what age they are!

The original screw fix founders had a non compete clause which they abided by, but they spent the entire 2 years planning tool station hence the reason it expanded so rapidly. (I prefer tool station)

OK Knot Competent, now that you are on their email list I expect you will get your own offers in future. A 20% saving is so worth having - I saved over £50 last month.

The VAT free offer is on until 7th so if anyone wants to use my discount number just let me know.

K

well I never knew that about Toolstation owners - now sold to TP? that will be the kiss of death then, TP almost my most hated outlet......

Screwfix vs Toolstation- there's no competition.. Maybe 1 in 50 items is cheaper at screwfix,
Better service, returns, and can't beat the free coffee/chocolate/soup they give. Also I believe they don't have any sub-quality items over there, everything I have bought there has been tip-top quality wise.

When I go to the Post Office I don't stand in the queue gossiping. I am too busy rehearsing the routine I have to go through to collect my weekly 'winnings'.

1) Make sure I don't know which pocket contains my Pension Card.
2) Make sure I can't quite remember my PIN, and take about thirty seconds checking it with the little slip of paper in my wallet.
3) Make sure I have the correct part of the fictitious phone number (which is my PIN), then promptly forget.
4) Make sure that the first time I enter the PIN I get it wrong.
5) Turn up my hearing aid so I can appreciate the sighs, moans and mutters from the younger fraternity!

Before I became a pensioner, the solution to being delayed was to get to the Post office around mid afternoon. That's when the place is virtually deserted.
It's also the reason I still go at that time. After all I don't have all day to hang around in queues, listening to other old codgers moaning about the weather, and the misfortunes of Aston Villa!

Sorry folks, but I should remind you that getting old is something none of us can avoid; unless of course we get struck down by the only alternative.
Also spare a thought for the pensioners who have to stand there, whilst some young, part time 'entrepreneur', decides to come in to the Post Office when it's ultra busy, to spend half an hour faffing around with eBay despatches!

Hope you enjoyed my imaginary Pensioner's Day scenario.

PS I don't cause any problems at Screwfix, because I only ever order for delivery!
But of course I am at home all day doing nothing, so I can take the delivery!
:lol:

Back