New Combi Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRRLutherie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Today, I bought a Hitachi DV18DCL2 Combi Drill from Screwfix for £99.99: http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-d...4LDK6rhz4nR6gv1LWMT!-2133840619!1365451638657

I'd had my heart set on the Makita BHP456RFWX Combi Drill for £139.99: http://www.its.co.uk/pd/BHP456RFWX-...2-Speed-Hammer-DrillDriver-_MAKBHP456RFWX.htm , but decided that is was a bit steep, especially since it almost completely shared specs with the Hitachi, but had one less battery.

However, having purchased it, I wondered if it would offer me the same longevity that Makita is known for. If it were a corded tool, it would be no-brainer, but batteries seem to be more temperamental. I'd rather spend the extra £40, if I'll get another few years out of it.

But if you can reassure me of the Hitachi's hardiness, I'll stick with it.

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

I bought the same one and am very pleased with it. I'm also hoping that battery life will be longer than the NiCad-equipped drill it replaced, but it's a bit too soon to say, as I've only had it a couple of months! ;-)

I've had a Hitachi 14v NiCad drill driver for about five years and it has has the living hell beaten out of it, dropped from great heights many times and it is still going strong. Purchased originally as it came with three batteries when it's rival only had one or two. All three batteries are still going strong although they don't hold as good a charge as they did.

I'd say if the current models are similarly engineered you need not worry and I'd say the extra battery will be invaluable.

I reckon that (unless someone can assure me of Hitachi's unreliability), considering I get same weight and drilling capacities for £40 less (with an extra battery) it would be daft to change for the Makita.

Thanks for the advice!

The Makita Drill you linked to is £139 ex vat, £167inc vat against the Hitachi at £99inc, that's a saving of £68.

Dependent on your use, hobby or professional I'd save the £68 all day long.

Ah, I forgot VAT.

The best price anywhere else is Amazon, for £149.99, but I'd rather save the extra cash.

If you need an impact driver, then there are good deals on Makita twin pack, with 2 batteries. I have that and am very pleased with it. I find the ergonomics very good (better than an equivalent Dewalt that I also use) and the battery burn time is very good.

I've handled the Hitachi and found it less comfortable, but that is a personal issue. I'm sure it is otherwise a good tool. As to whether you need an extra battery (and to see that as a plus) is down to you to know; mine last so long and charge so quickly that one battery per tool really is enough.

I agree with flufflinger, I was given my first Hitachi twin set (14v) when i started, and since then have brought several new drills (dewalt, makita) all of which are good tools. I abused the Hitachi saving my shiny new ones, and guess which one is still firing on all batteries, right the Hitachi.

Hi All

I cracked open the Hitachi today, and put a toothbrush holder up. I was drilling into a solid maple cabinet, and, when I put the drill into reverse to remove the bit*, it opened up the chuck. I noticed this before it had properly opened up, and managed to retighten (if that's a word) it.

I'd read in a few reviews that the chuck was a weak point of of the Hitachi, so I was a bit worried, as I'd tightened it up as much as I could before drilling. I was thinking of taking it back to Screwfix, what do you think?

*I fear that this may not be correct technique. Is it?

Reversing a drill bit is not something I do. With a morse type bit (ordinary or lip and spur) the spiral grooves will have some wood fibres in them. If you reverse, you would 'unscrew' the bit and leave them in the hole.
With a flatbit, the relief angle (working backwards) could compress loose fibres under its edge, getting stuck or just making the hole less round.

The only time I would reverse the direction would be when using a hand-held brace and an augur bit with a leadscrew if I wanted to withdraw it without breaking through the far side, ie if I needed to wind the leadscrew out tidily. Not relevant here!

So I suspect your drill is perfectly ok; but Screwfix would take it back under their 'no quibble' policy if you really wanted them to.

I have yet to find a keyless chuck thats really 100% good on any make (not used hilti or festool), give the new drill a bit of a workout on a few jobs and see how it is - if it keeps letting go of bits often then take it back, if it does it once in a while then its just average.

Back