Screw table legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Smith

Can't knock a nail in wood
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a real novice when it comes to wood working or anything DIY but I do have a question which I hope someone on here could answer.

I bought a second hand nest of tables (Italian made) some time ago and recently one of the legs has fallen off. Upon closer inspection it appears that the leg was simply glued into a circular wooden socket whereas all the other legs have a flush fitting metal socket sunk into the table and the leg screws into this. It is obviously a quick and dirty fix that was done sometime in the past.

I have attached pictures of the socket and one of the leg.

My question is - does anyone know where I can purchase leg sockets which are designed to be sunken into the underside of the table? Everywhere I have looked only sells sockets that attach to the underside of the table which is not what I want.

Thanks,

Clive

Attachments

• rsz_table_leg.jpg
    rsz_table_leg.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 91
  • rsz_table_leg_socket.jpg
    rsz_table_leg_socket.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 90
Hi there

What would probably suit is known as an 'insert nut' or 'threaded insert' available from hardware shops, commonly in 6mm or 8mm threads.

ae235

Screwfix stock them - http://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-nut-type-d-m6-pack-of-50/59937 - but they should not be hard to find.

You use an allen key to drive the insert into a drilled hole, then you can screw the threaded part into the hole.

Back