Scratch Stocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crooked Tree

Established Member
Reaction score
I made these just before Christmas - 2 as presents, 1 for me. They are based upon the standard gauge form, with the stock laminated from several pieces with an embedded nut for the adjustor.

The stock is from maple, with the stem in recycled timber believed to be meranti.

Cutting the maple for the stock into strips:
100_1376.jpg

The stock parts ready for drilling:
100_1377.jpg

It would appear to have been too cold when gluing the stems, and the PVA joint failed when drilling for the screws to clamp the cutter. The remains were planed flat again and re-glued... inside this time.
100_1378.jpg

A test run on a piece of scrap (had never used a scratch stock before):
100_1381.jpg

The finished articles:
100_1382.jpg

100_1384.jpg

The clamping screws and nuts are stainless steel. The cutters were filed from pieces of a cabinet scraper, sized to match those available commercially. The adjustor uses a piece of M6 threaded rod epoxied into a piece of the same timber used for the stem, with the timber shaped using a rasp. The same technique was used to make the pressure pad for the adjustor. Hence, they are not quite round. It was the best that could be done at the time with the tools available and more effective than I expected. It has left a slightly rustic "hand made" look, which they are if you do not count the pillar drill.
Preparation was by sanding to 180g. The finish is shellac sanding sealer followed by pale french polish on the maple and normal brown french polish on the meranti.

Further tweaks required later: file down excess thread on the cutter clamping screws so that the cutter can move closer to the stock. Possibly cut a groove in the stock to allow the cutter to move even closer.

Nice job on the scratch stocks...here's a pic of a tool made for Waka (and a few others, including me, which is identical) by Pete (Newt):

Wakapalnes001small.jpg

...machined entirely from solid brass, complete with a fence - Rob

Hi, Mr Tree

They look cracking scratch stocks, I find its nice to use a tool you have made your self.

Pete

They are all very nice. Here is one I made about 4 years ago and is still going strong :lol:

006-14.jpg

Total time to make oh 10 mins. In fact it takes longer to make the blade shape than the stock.

Impressive looking piece of kit that, Rob. The plan this time though was to make something in this style, plus I had some maple and liked the look of some similar commercially made tools. I also hoped to make 3 in time for Christmas - last year the planes in brass only got so far as the prototype by Christmas day!

Maltrout512, I expect that your scratch stock works just as well, if not better than mine. I believe that that is the traditional pattern (certainly I have seen it in old books of mine)? For me, the tool was the project - I just fancied making them and spent time on functionless cosmetics like lining up the grain of the pieces from which the stock was made. In fact, I have no plans to use it until a couple of projects time! I do however have ideas about making a mortice in the end of the stem so that it can double as a cutting gauge (with the addition of a wedge and blade), and perhaps even making another stem or 2 for the same stock so that it can be a marking or mortice gauge too. May help to keep a check on the tool volume...

Crooked Tree":12sf8tnd said:
Maltrout512, I expect that your scratch stock works just as well, if not better than mine. I believe that that is the traditional pattern (certainly I have seen it in old books of mine)?

Scratch stocks vary a lot, depending on both purpose, and effort expended.

In particular, the optimum design for a beading type of stock is not the same as for one making a small moulding.

I have (had) a site with details:

http://web.archive.org/web/200910261538 ... ratch.html

BugBear

Back