Scraper Shave?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calpol

Established Member
Reaction score
Would a scraper shave be best for smoothing a slightly convex curve varying from about 5-20mm wide? They'll be veneered and I think good ol' abrasive will be a bit ropey. I haven't used a scraper shave before though so I'm unaware what they're really for but for £45 it could be worth the investment...

Thanks all

A cabinet scraper is probably one of the most useful pieces of kit in the workshop.

The "scraper shave" like the one that Veritas do is a fancy holder to protect your and give extra control (I think...but I haven't used one) but I use just a scraper steel.

Not sure what one you are after (Veritas?) but Matt sells a superb starter kits of scrapers at Workshop Heaven and it is only £18

CLICK HERE

If you want - you can also buy a rather nice Clifton Rosewood burnisher...

CLICK HERE

although I have got away with the shaft of a good screwdriver for years...it is nice to have a proper bit of kit. You will need to learn how to turn a burr on the edge too....

GOOGLE CABINET SCRAPER BURR OR CLICK HERE FOR ONE SITE

The finish a cabinet scraper imparts is second to most methods and, in some cases, is the ONLY way of doing it.

Hope this helps

Jim

I have one that Philly gave to me some years ago...never used it though :oops: but it does look nice on the Tool Wall with the LV 'shaves - Rob

Thanks chaps, I do have cabinet scrapers Jimi but I don't think they'll work for what I'm doing, they'll very easily nick the edges I think... That said, I haven't tried it so will do kind sir :D

woodbloke":1dys4tfa said:
I have one that Philly gave to me some years ago...never used it though :oops: but it does look nice on the Tool Wall with the LV 'shaves. £20 and it's yours Calpol - Rob

Done :lol: [-o<

Calpol":2itmod35 said:
Thanks chaps, I do have cabinet scrapers Jimi but I don't think they'll work for what I'm doing, they'll very easily nick the edges I think... That said, I haven't tried it so will do kind sir :D

woodbloke":2itmod35 said:
I have one that Philly gave to me some years ago...never used it though :oops: but it does look nice on the Tool Wall with the LV 'shaves. £20 and it's yours Calpol - Rob

Yes...I thought I might have misunderstood just after I clicked "post" but I spent so long typing it up and getting the links, I left it there just in case! :oops:

Hope you sort it.

Cheers mate

Jim

This shop made scraper shave needed about 30 minutes to build fromsome bandsaw scrap.

Competition%20brace%20for%20Wood%20Central%202008_html_65aed32c.jpg

Also used for ..

EntryforAustralianWoodReview2009_html_74036686.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Calpol":1a2on03m said:

woodbloke":1a2on03m said:

Nice try...no cigar :wink: :lol: - Rob

Good idea Derek, mine just needs a straight blade too so that'd be even easier... I'll give that a try :D

...Since Woodbloke has foiled my almost perfect plan 8-[

Back