SCMS with induction motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John McM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a fairly small, quiet SCMS so I'm attracted by the Eleckra Beckum KGS331 I've just noticed Axminster do a clone called QMS254I for just £283. Are they the same saw? Has anybody got one ? or can you recommend an alternative. I don't really want a "beast" and I'm not bothered that it only tilts 1 way.

Advice/opinion, as usual much appreciated

John

John, I've had the 331 for a few years. I like it, quiet motor and waaay less screaming when the blade gets to work than a brush motored saw. Only real drawback is the depth of cut because of where the motor is situated. And it does need quite alot of footprint as the bars need plenty of space behind it. Reasonably accurate too.
As far as I'm aware the EB and the Axminster are the only 2 mitre saws available on the market. If you go for the EB make sure you get a brake, otherwise you can do a cut, go have a slow bath and then come back to see the blade finally come to a standstill.
Also it is not possible to trench cut with it other than by freehand/guessing due to the arrangement of the slider bars and only bevels one side which can be a pain sometimes. Would I buy another? Dunno. Ideally a Makita LS1312 with an induction motor would be my choice, if one was ever marketed.
Know little about the Axminster so can't help you there.

I have the Elektra Beckum too. Of the two, I would say the EB is the better quality tool. Costs more, but worth it in the long run.

crosscut_station1.jpg

crosscut_station2.jpg

I have the metabo kgs300 which is the same saw as the elektra beckum kgs331 but without the blade brake.

It is an excellent bit of kit and soooooo quiet when running.

Matt.

John McM":2sg4d9cy said:
Great, thanks for the input guys. Does anyone else make SCMS with an induction motor?
The Italian Omga company make industrial quality (i.e. cast iron table, etc) chop saws which are famed for their relative longevity in the caravan industry (i.e. they take more than 6 months to break - DW non-induction types last a few weeks....). However, they do cost as much as an industrial radial arm saw...... There also used to be a company called OMS (part of the Peugeot group?) who made similar saws a few years back. deWalt reintroduced what was formerly a deWalt design (in their green/orange days), and still make what appears to be a derivative with rip sawing capability, the DW711 whilst there is now a newer sliding version the DW27111. Virutex also make induction motor chop saws, some with and others without the rip saw capability, like the TS48L. Other models in the range can be seen here

I can't help feeling that a radial arm saw might be as appropriate a solution.

Scrit

Back