School Wokshops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I sent my eldest son to a private school and (though this was not the reason) they had a fully equipped woodwork and metal work shop, pottery, kiln, forge, CAD etc - really good. It was a rather academic school but even so they gave the pupils tons of opportunities (including golf. shooting, riding, archery and so on). He is now 19 and studying aircraft engineering in Delft. Many pupils will have dabbled with technology and design subjects even if they finally end up as doctors, bankers or whatever. I studied woodwork and metalwork at school as well and have extremely positive memories of it (and still have the things I made) even though I followed an academic career path.

Now - contrast this with the local state set up where we lived in Surrey (Cranleigh as it happens). Arguably (without wishing to be derogatory or elitist) the pupils there might well have benefited more from such facilities, but in fact had hardly any. This was down to several things including funds, teaching staff and lack of genuine appreciation among staff of how to manage the H&S aspects. I know this because I was peripherally connected with the state school for a while via teh music department. Contrast that: the state school had the equivalent of one and a half full time music teachers. The private school next door had numerous music teachers (at least 10) dealing with about a third of the pupil numbers. They struggled even with accepting free help, due to absurd insurance problems and the off putting need for criminal record checks on people offering assistance (despite the presence of employed teachers all the time).

The state sector has maybe lost its way, and this is regrettable for our children. I think we are gradually losing skills.

That said - on the H&S side - I do remember one incident when I was at school when a kid ground into his arm bone by leaning on a running grinder. The metalwork teacher was a stickler for safety and the workshop was immaculate. The kid was memorably stupid. It does not matter what you do with H&S - some people will manage to have accidents anyway!

Dave Parker. As the son of two teachers he was Dave because he'd worked with my Dad for 20 years and he'd occasionally come round for Sunday lunch. Woodwork and PE teachers lol. They used to go for a pint together on a Friday. Drove a smashed up Landrover. Corduroy shirts with massive concord collars. The man never progressed beyond a certain era and I'd love to meet him now for a beer. Looking back you'd never believe it really. He had two tools always to hand. A giant pair of pinking scissors and a gas igniter for forges. If you left your tie untucked near a lathe the pinking shears would be there. Razor sharp. Snip. he'd just cut your tie off. No messing. If you were messing about etc you could expect to get the gas igniter. He removed the end and you be there pishing about and BZZZZZT! he'd give you a dose of the electric up the back of your leg. Wakey wakey Son. 'Keep your wits about you lad, the workshop can be a dangerous place.'
Can you imagine that nowadays lol?
And every kid in that room loved him. Possibly to a lesser or greater degree. But they all respected him. He brooked no nonsense and was fair at the same time.
Made my dad a workbench that he still has and welded him a steel roof rack for the cortina which he doesn't. That was weighed in for scrap and my old man bought a tropical island with the proceeds due to it's infinite weight and registered it with the patents office as the first recorded case of welded anti-matter.

Back