Scheppach Basato 5-4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybee24

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have been looking for a little while now for a Basato 5-4 and I saw one for sale on Ebay a few days ago. I was contemplating making a bid and would you beleive it - it went sailing past the price I was prepared to pay whilst I was just getting ready to bid.

It went for a staggering £1010.00 Is that what these are really worth on the 2nd hand market or was it a couple of guys with more money than sense?

The latter. The Scheppach is OK, but buying secondhand you could get a really nice saw for that kind of money.

Yeah, I think 2 peeps got carried away.

Something is worth what somebody is willing to pay. In this case it was more than you were willing to pay.

Cheers

Karl

Jaybee, it's kinda tough for me to give a serious response as I haven't looked at any of these bandsaws properly (they're too big for me) but the startrite 502e, the hammer n4400 and the jet jwbs-18q are all substantial saws. The first two you could buy new. The jet is a little more. I doubt I'd be upset about having any of them in my workshop.

Don't get me wrong, if you can find a scheppach at the right price I'd jump at the opportunity (and I've just bought a smaller scheppach). It's all about it being the right price though.

Dave

I had a newish one and sold it within 6 months. I do not rate them at all as a serious bandsaw. I already had a Statrite 352 which i ended up keeping as it was at least as good if not better that the Scheppach.

If you want a Large bandsaw, the Newer startrite (502?) looks excellent for around a grand- certainly better value for money than the 5-4, other than that try and get a second hand Wadkin, would be my advice.

When I was looking at saws, I had a good nose around a couple of dealers, and I remember looking at the Basato 5 and thinking on first impression, it's huge and so much cast iron (the table) it looks really heavy duty. Opened the doors and there's a pair of really quite cheesy thinly spoked wheels and a flimsy looking tension mech etc, etc. It looked like it was designed to impress on the specs/looks rather than in real use. Having said that, I then steered well clear so I have no experience of one.

Scheppach in my opinion are not good machinery. I think they bank on the reputation of German equipment being well built and as one poster already said they are more spec ticking then concentrating on fine woodworking tools. I was shocked when i seen their table saw and couldn't believe any German firm would build such a tool.

Their equipment is more then half as much as it should be priced in my opinion. Not to mention just how ugly the colour combo is.

You can have mine for 1010!

It's not a bad saw, but you can do better for the price, especially if it is 1800 now. Wow.

Mine sings sweetly, but the thing just takes up so much space. Fine if you have a large workshop, but in a small home shop I wish I'd bought something with as much power and capacity but with a smaller footprint.

S

Steve Maskery":25i9eyut said:
Mine sings sweetly, but the thing just takes up so much space. Fine if you have a large workshop, but in a small home shop I wish I'd bought something with as much power and capacity but with a smaller footprint.

Or, you could just get rid of some of the many old jigs you no longer use!! :D

Jaybee24":xew2mi43 said:
Hi. I have been looking for a little while now for a Basato 5-4 and I saw one for sale on Ebay a few days ago. I was contemplating making a bid and would you beleive it - it went sailing past the price I was prepared to pay whilst I was just getting ready to bid.

It went for a staggering £1010.00 Is that what these are really worth on the 2nd hand market or was it a couple of guys with more money than sense?

Thats nice to know

I have the same saw sitting in my workshop :lol: :lol: :p :p 8)

@ Steve M

As you may know Steve I have watched your video using the self same model of machine. When you waggled that top wheel to show how it can be adjusted I had to wonder if it was about to fall out of the machine.

As regards having yours for £1010 - I had set my limit to £750 and no more.

Now looking at all the replies I am at a loss to know what to do. As far as I can tell a Wadkin is going to be too big even I can find one in the price range. I would like a Felder but have never seen a second hand one for sale. A new one of those and I would have to take out a mortgage.

If you would let yours go for say £800 Steve - Then your ON!!!

Jaybee

Hi Jaybee
Well thank you for the offer, but no, not really. Not right now, anyway. It may be a different story in a few weeks if I do lose my workshop. Not sure what's happening yet. If I can just get something resembling a proper job, I can hang on to the house and my wife can do as she pleases, but everything is uncertain at the mo.

If things do change, I'll let you know.

Cheers
Steve

Well Steve I was only joking really - I never expected you to take me seriously.

But you never know - If I cant find one I just may ask again.

If you do ever want to sell it you should go for the best offer.

Best regards

Jaybee

I also have a 5-4. I don't agree with the comments regarding flimsy wheels. That's not a critical area IMO. Much more critical is the strength of the frame in allowing you to pile on the blade tension and the 5-4 scores highly in that area. The cast-iron table is humungous and rock solid. Comforting to use when you're handling large slabs as I seem to be of late.

Mind you, initially, it was not without its' problems but, thanks to Bandsaw-Meister Maskery, it now runs very very sweetly.

It is a little large though...

Jaybee24":if0z2dwr said:
As you may know Steve I have watched your video using the self same model of machine. When you waggled that top wheel to show how it can be adjusted I had to wonder if it was about to fall out of the machine.

If I'm thinking of the same scene then, that's because the wheels are 'free' without a blade fitted and therefore not under tension. There has to this amount of "waggle" to allow the blade to tilt either way so that tracking can be adjusted. They're usually held on to the shaft with a at least a circlip on most machines. Sometimes, they'll also have a machine screw. :wink:

I was keeping an eye on that basato on ebay too :lol:

It was 7 years old, but it looked in great condition. The previous one on ebay went for 1200. Somebody mentioned that second hand kit could be sold for 2/3 of the new price so going by that it wasn't too bad a price. Still couldn't afford it myself though :?

I bought mine recently for £900 a 2006 model from a large supplier it was in really good condition so I suppose around a £1000 is the going rate for that saw.

Its my first bandsaw so don't have anything to compare it with but so far I have no complaints, in fact I'm wondering what I did without it.

A few small niggles to begin with but that was my lack of knowledge in how to set it up. I'm off to order Mr Maskerys DVDs this afternoon to take its set up to the next level.

Back