sceppach Deco 402 scrollsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenko

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, pretty new to this forum but decided to update my old 3" scrollsaw and bought the Scheppach 402 from Screwfix.

Expecting a reasonable machine, I was grossly dissapointed. Its c**p and tacky. It says on the box tool free blade changing, that only applies to pinned blades, pinnless blades require the use of an allen key. Not only that, but you have to remove some of the housing to access the bottom blade block, not good. The variable speed is not what I expected, its high or low, not much variety there. The table and insert are poor, the insert is about 1/16th inch lower than the table creating a lip which catches the wood.

I have 2 bandsaws and as said, an old 3" scrollsaw. The Scheppach is the only machine that goes walk about then turned on and wants to fall off the bench. Overall, not impressed one iota with the Sheppach.

On the plus side, while making a bench extension yesterday for the useless scrollsaw I used my cheap Aldi Router for the first time and was very impressed. It was the first time I've used a hand Router since my London college days and I was more than impressed with it.

Mick.

I'd be returning it to Screwfix. It's not going to improve and mature with keeping. There seem to be a lot of scroll saws around with this design - I don't know if they are all poor but my father-in-law bought a Record version and couldn't get on with it and ended up buying a Delta that he is pleased with. I have an old basic Hegner which is nice to use. I keep an eye on Ebay and have bought most of my machinery that way and ended up with decent, old, well made kit at a good price.

Misterfish

I too started with the Sheppach and soon became disappointed. Overall quality poor. In the end I bit the bullet and bought a Hegner and was impressed with the difference but it was an expensive learning curve. I think Sheppach have bought in a standard unit from the far east and labelled it with their own house colours. If so, it can't be good for what is usually a quality brand of woodworking machinery and they should either abandon scroll saws altogether or go to their own drawing board. PS: Anyone know a good source for Flying Dutchman blades?

Back