Scary Sharpening video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
transatlantic":2u6ss2qc said:
A *quick* :)p) video with Matthew Platt (Workshop Heaven) and Ben WaffleMaster (Crimson Guitars)

Yes, there is a huge amount of waffle in this video. It could easily be half as long, but I found the waffle quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KohEPYAziGw

Yep, loads of unnecessary waffle there, but interesting none the less. If it doesn't 'grab' me inside 15 seconds, I 'click away' which is the reason that many posts on social media by professional companies (not all it has to be said) are short, succinct and to the point - Rob

woodbloke66":738l80ep said:
transatlantic":738l80ep said:
A *quick* :)p) video with Matthew Platt (Workshop Heaven) and Ben WaffleMaster (Crimson Guitars)

Yes, there is a huge amount of waffle in this video. It could easily be half as long, but I found the waffle quite interesting.

Yep, loads of unnecessary waffle there, but interesting none the less. If it doesn't 'grab' me inside 15 seconds, I 'click away' which is the reason that many posts on social media by professional companies (not all it has to be said) are short, succinct and to the point - Rob

I don't mind the long format videos. It's a shame people have such short attension spans that everything needs to be said in 60s or less. Why is everyone in such a rush? :p

I think a short video which is rushed and doesn't have enough info can be just as bad as an overly long video.

transatlantic":3n4z8wtz said:
I don't mind the long format videos. It's a shame people have such short attension spans that everything needs to be said in 60s or less. Why is everyone in such a rush? :p
I'm afeard that's the nature of social media. Personally, I don't use FB any more 'cos it drove me batty, but I do like InstaG and anything that takes longer than 10 seconds to read I just 'click away' from. Look for example, at certain tool supplier posts on InstaG; generally speaking you can instantly get the message inside ten seconds and it's done deliberately to stop the punter from moving on. Twitter is much the same, short, sharp, succinct - Rob

Watched it last week I think.
Found it interesting although the bit I took away from it was to know how to use a multitude of sharpening methods not just the one.

Oh and I quite like Ben and his waffle, it amuses me that I'm not the only one who runs off at tangents only to come back round to the point.

novocaine":1h91w2fr said:
the bit I took away from it was to know how to use a multitude of sharpening methods not just the one.

I really liked the masking tape trick, not seen that before (I've seen the ruler). Makes a lot of sense to have it be thin like that.

Can't look at the vid ATM but I do quite like Ben and find his waffling entertaining and interesting so will check it out later.

transatlantic":2vuvy84y said:
I really liked the masking tape trick, not seen that before (I've seen the ruler). Makes a lot of sense to have it be thin like that.
Some use a strip of milk carton plastic, also because it's thinner than a typical 6" steel rule but if I'm remembering correctly it was also said that it was to prevent leaving unsightly scratches. Although how long that would continue with abrasive contamination I don't know.

Anything like this is just a variation of the ruler trick and at the end of the day it makes little difference what you use to raise the iron because the back bevel created is always shallow. It is a good trick but not absolutely necessary and of course of little to no use on chisels so I made the decision early on not to rely on it. For plane irons I think it's far more useful for those who are using abrasion-resistant alloys. On basic carbon steel, even particularly hard stuff, if you're honing on diamonds, waterstones or good abrasive paper I don't see the point.

ED65":3s4qfp5t said:
Anything like this is just a variation of the ruler trick and at the end of the day it makes little difference what you use to raise the iron because the back bevel created is always shallow.
If you use a really thin, springy rule about 50mm away from the edge and then do the sums (not my strongest suite :D ) the angle that the blade is raised by is less than one degree, which as you say, makes little or no difference - Rob

ED65":2s7v3oxx said:
Can't look at the vid ATM but I do quite like Ben and find his waffling entertaining and interesting so will check it out later.

transatlantic":2s7v3oxx said:
Some use a strip of milk carton plastic, also because it's thinner than a typical 6" steel rule but if I'm remembering correctly it was also said that it was to prevent leaving unsightly scratches. Although how long that would continue with abrasive contamination I don't know.

Anything like this is just a variation of the ruler trick and at the end of the day it makes little difference what you use to raise the iron because the back bevel created is always shallow. It is a good trick but not absolutely necessary and of course of little to no use on chisels so I made the decision early on not to rely on it. For plane irons I think it's far more useful for those who are using abrasion-resistant alloys. On basic carbon steel, even particularly hard stuff, if you're honing on diamonds, waterstones or good abrasive paper I don't see the point.

I guess it all depends on how you're starting out. If you blade is in poor shape, then it makes sense

transatlantic":33lppgw5 said:

I tried to watch this twice. The first bloke seemed okay but then Darth maul or was it Obiwankernobi turned up. No way I will listen to anyone who has gone to so much trouble to look that ridiculous! I lasted less than ten seconds both times, what a banal looking twerp, regardless of his skillset, keep him away from me please, I don't want to know or learn anything from him.
Apart from that, it looked promising but give me Paul Sellers every time and I will live with the shortfall.

Miserable git ain't I.

screwpainting":aevqbwb3 said:
Miserable git ain't I.

I tend to judge a person by their heart rather than what's tattooed on their head, having met Ben once or twice I can say he's got a hell of a heart, he's a real true gentleman and craftman.

Each to their own I suppose!

But he is the king waffler, no doubt about it.

I'm not judging him in his entirety, I am just saying that I personally find that sort of over constructed, out there, edgy, look at my silly facial hair or piercings crud, mega boring and banal so stopped watching.

I suppose he's just trying to look different and interesting, trouble is it's all been done before.

Boring............., never mind 8)

As an aside, it does give you an insight into Matthew Platt (Workshop Heaven) and the rigour he applies to his woodworking and the products he sells.
Certainly not the cheapest supplier but I’ve always been impressed by the quality of my purchases and the advice I’ve been given by email.
Not sure my scary sharpening has been as precise as his, but always willing to learn - especially the deliberate concave back on chisels.

screwpainting":1c09p061 said:
I'm not judging him in his entirety,

But by using words like 'twerp' you don't leave a lot left.

Reminds me of the blind woodworking thread.

I could be angry, but I'm just sad to see judgements being made like this, and posters passing it off.

Something has to give here.

Moderators seem disinterested and at times approving.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Bodgers":1kukv0pt said:
screwpainting":1kukv0pt said:
I'm not judging him in his entirety,

But by using words like 'twerp' you don't leave a lot left.

Reminds me of the blind woodworking thread.

I could be angry, but I'm just sad to see judgements being made like this, and posters passing it off.

Something has to give here.

Moderators seem disinterested and at times approving.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

If it helps, I don't care what he looks like, if the content and presenting style is good that's all that matters.

woodbloke66":2gslhx5j said:
If you use a really thin, springy rule about 50mm away from the edge and then do the sums (not my strongest suite :D ) the angle that the blade is raised by is less than one degree, which as you say, makes little or no difference - Rob
I tried working the angle out once and had to give up when my head started to hurt :D

transatlantic":2gslhx5j said:
I guess it all depends on how you're starting out. If you blade is in poor shape, then it makes sense
It's certainly a viable alternative I'll grant that. But to return to one of my previous points, what do you do if it's a chisel? You haven't a choice there right? And IME plane irons, despite being wider usually, are easier to bear down hard on during the work so they can actually be easier to de-pit than a chisel half the width, assuming you concentrate effort only where needed and don't get too caught up in the process and work to remove pits now that nobody will reach in their lifetime :) So my thinking is the only things you can use the trick on you don't really need to.

ED65":3cvsabre said:
It's certainly a viable alternative I'll grant that. But to return to one of my previous points, what do you do if it's a chisel? You haven't a choice there right? And IME plane irons, despite being wider usually, are easier to bear down hard on during the work so they can actually be easier to de-pit than a chisel half the width, assuming you concentrate effort only where needed and don't get too caught up in the process and work to remove pits now that nobody will reach in their lifetime :) So my thinking is the only things you can use the trick on you don't really need to.

Did you watch the bit about making a concave on the chisel back? seems to make sense. But again, I think it can only be applied (easily) to a high quality chisel (something that is pretty flat to begin with). I guess your average chisel would take far too much work.

transatlantic":18wf3dl3 said:
Did you watch the bit about making a concave on the chisel back? seems to make sense. But again, I think it can only be applied (easily) to a high quality chisel (something that is pretty flat to begin with). I guess your average chisel would take far too much work.
Adding a hollow to a chisel is something I've considered trying once or twice in the past for sure! I soldiered through but it's definitely something to consider if you're faced with a convex back as that's a bit of a mare to deal with conventionally.

Back