Scaffold board bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertheeater

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
I delivered a piece of furniture to a clients the other day. She was keen to show me a child's bed she bought in Paris. A big sleigh bed type of thing. I wasn't that impressed to be honest.
It looked to me to have been made of new or frehly planed or new scaffold planks with that greenish tint of preservative to the timber. My question is whether scaffold boards are tannalised and whether this process still uses arsenic or any other harmful chemicals. The bed has no finish to it. Is this likely to be harmful to a small child chewing on it. I would feel guilty not raising it with her. Or should I just mind my own business
Thanks all

Arsenic compounds in Europe was banned in tannalised timber since 2006. Apparently, the replacement process - Tanalised E - uses copper and triazole biocides - an organic anti fungal treatment commonly used to protect food crops.

Don't know whether this is supposed to convey that it is safe now for this type of application.

Back