Sawdust and What ? as a filler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grahamshed":1mss116c said:
andersonec":1mss116c said:
That sounds like a large channel to me, could you not widen it to get rid of the mistake, put in a filler strip then rout it again? no unsightly glue patches then :-k

Andy

The 'mistake' was a big one and a part of the channel which was 10mm from the edge of a 9 inch board ( 9 ft long ) is now only 1 or 2 mm from the edge...... But that does give me an idea, I could maybe slice that bit off and do it again, then biscuit a similar width bit to the back of the board...... or I could just chuck it away. :)

Don't chuck it away just yet Graham, have a go at fixing it, for a few reasons, One it may work, two for the practice so you avoid doing it again, three you may find that lump of wood may come in handy for something else, that's a big lump of Beech.

Best of luck.
Andy

Graham,
If you are considering slicing the channel off, and putting a strip on the other side, could you maybe fill in the groove you've done, and turn the board around, to groove the other side. The repair work might be hidden then? Saves ripping off and re jointing. Just a thought.

Benchwayze":2uau61vu said:
Graham,
If you are considering slicing the channel off, and putting a strip on the other side, could you maybe fill in the groove you've done, and turn the board around, to groove the other side. The repair work might be hidden then? Saves ripping off and re jointing. Just a thought.

That has been one of my thoughts but unfortunately I had picked the best edge to use. The other side ( ie, the back edge of the board ) has a four or five inch section that, while not actually a knot, is quite disturbed. I have it nice and flat etc but I am not sure it wold survive routing a channel out of it.

I will see if I can get some pics tomorrow.

Back