Sawbench - retro fit fence guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleSteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been considering getting a new saw bench, however now think my existing one would be okay (far more robust than many tin constructed units), however my biggest issue with it is the lack of a decent fence. I have been 'G' clamping a straight edge to it for years, but takes time to set it up each time.

Is there any retro fit systems out there please?

Thanks for reading and and helpful suggestions :)

It depends on what saw you have at the moment?
Have a look at the larger of the 2 bandsaw replacement fences sold by axminster. :)

Check out the Verysupercooltools website. You'd need to build a Biesemyer style rail for it though.

keithkarl2007":3uafqz7q said:
Check out the Verysupercooltools website. You'd need to build a Biesemyer style rail for it though.

I am doing this modification at the moment, although i bought the fence. Just test fitted the rails tonight and it is solid as a rock. It has taken a bit of faffing to get this far, but that was mainly 1. my saw, and 2. me. If I was doing a second one, it would take a couple of evenings at most to get to where I am (plus painting/drying time). As it is, it has probably taken 5.

The fence could be easy enough to make I think, with a bit of time, and thinking about utilizing standard parts- a toggle clamp for instance.

To make it work, you need a cast top- mine is aluminium, cast iron would be better It needs a flat, reasonably square edge to bolt the rails to. Pressed tops wont do it. I struggled to make infills work, so I machined the aluminium off.

extension table in place.jpg

This is the Axminster bandsaw fence upgrade attached to my TS 200 table saw. It is about £70, I like it a lot, it is very solid, locks really well, ridiculously easy to fit and easy to adjust. It also takes locking nuts in the aluminium extrusion for jigs etc.

Attachments

• extension table in place.jpg
    extension table in place.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 118
What kind of saw bench do you have? If we could see what it looks like it would bemuch easier to suggest a good design.

I have seen plenty og good home made fences. Anyone who has a little experience with metal fabrication could weld up one fairly easily.

I made mine from a few views of some YouTube videos. It's rock solid and glides and slides along easily. It can be fine tuned with some built in adjustment screws.
Total cost was 2 pints at our local, well happy :D

Thanks guy's, some good leads.

I was asked what sawbench I have, well.... its a robust one I built years a go, using mainly 40mm x 40mm box section, 3mm plate on the top with a tooth belt driven 300mm diameter blade. The top is about 800mm square and driven by a 2hp single phase motor. Oh, its heavy.

Off now to study leads :)

Latest posts

Back