Saw Vice Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G S Haydon

Established Member
Reaction score
Gave it a quick coat of sanding sealer. Had intended to stain it darker to save it looking grubby in use. But the light timber contrasted against the teeth so well I kept it natural. Now to sort out the Atkins Saw I restored.

PXL_20221122_211143275.jpg
PXL_20221122_211234297.jpg

PXL_20221122_211213584.jpg
PXL_20221122_211206678.jpg

Nice. They make life so much easier. Dont know why I spent so long henched over a saw in the bench vice. I have never used one of the metal saw vices but I cant see them being any better than a good wooden one.
Regards
John

Thanks John. The two main benefits should be not having to move the saw in the vice and better support for the saw plate. We'll have to see if I've achieved it (first one is already in the bag).

Thanks John. The two main benefits should be not having to move the saw in the vice and better support for the saw plate. We'll have to see if I've achieved it (first one is already in the bag).
I have an old one I rescued, I found I needed to take the back of the vice jaws just off of square so that the jaws put most pressure as close to the teeth as possible. It could have been a design or age issue but originally the pressure was 2-3mm back from the edge and the saw plate vibrated with each cut.

Good point Rog. The wing nut does a good job with the initial grab to get the saw in the right spot. When I put the vice into the bench vice I can apply more/as much pressure as required. However, a lever would be a nice touch. The hardware for this was just what was at the local agricultural supply shop.

Fitzroy, I'll grab my Woden brand vice and show you why I'm not keen. I'm no connoisseur of saw vices but it seems lacking.

How about a bigger lever than the wing nut for a bit more grip?
I had a similar idea to apply to my identical saw vice. I'll replace the wing nut with a lever. Guess what. Years later I'm still using the wing nut as an initial grab. The leg vice does a good job of holding it solid. Might get around to putting a lever on but I think it might be for aesthetics rather than necessity. Why did I spell aesthetics correctly first time but it required three attempts to spell necessity?

Looks excellent. I hope you're able to make it very filthy over time!

I originally bought three saw vises. None of them really had dead straight jaws and I guess there are modern steel vises that would ,but they're expensive enough that it should cause a pause.

I like wood better, too, but keep one of the iron vises just for tiny saws (which need sharpening much less often than big rip saws).

Thanks everyone, generous feedback for a simple piece of shop equipment 😊. When time is tight these projects can be a shot in the arm.

Hi Tony

That's my hope. My metal vice wasn't all that good anyway and as you highlight, wood has a much better chance of soaking up the vibes. I haven't used it yet! Busy at home some shop hasn't been the priority.

Hi Tony

That's my hope. My metal vice wasn't all that good anyway and as you highlight, wood has a much better chance of soaking up the vibes. I haven't used it yet! Busy at home some shop hasn't been the priority.
I’ll wait for your reply before starting a wood vise! I’ve used the metal one from ”Tools for Working Wood”, since its debut, but its screechy!

Latest posts

Back