Saw sharpening old tenon / dovetail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

als427

Reaction score
Any recommendations for someone to straighten and resharpen some old saws I have?
Either someone I can post to or otherwise based north london
is it worth it?
thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 13.36.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 13.36.48.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
Someone told me they were happy with Tewkesbury Saw Company but I have never used them myself-

thanks will give them a look. Difficult to know what to do as the saws aren't worth that much but seems a shame to leave them as they are

looking around its going to be an easy £30 a saw to sharpen and straighten - as much as the saw is worth...may be a fools errand

If you have no need to use them say 'thankyou for your service' take the handles off and recycle the wood and metal separately. Sending them off to sharpen will just add carbon miles to them, cost you money and they will end-up in the same location anyhow. Or sell them on ebay for peanuts to someone who will sharpen and use them.

I would say its worth the money to have them fixed. 30 pounds for a good saw is cheap. Compare with the cost of an equally good new saw. I am quite envious of the availability of good and rather cheap second hand joinery saws in the UK. Over here joinery saws are very rare. If the shipping isn't insane I would be interested in them.

I would say its worth the money to have them fixed. 30 pounds for a good saw is cheap. Compare with the cost of an equally good new saw. I am quite envious of the availability of good and rather cheap second hand joinery saws in the UK. Over here joinery saws are very rare. If the shipping isn't insane I would be interested in them.
You need a friendly contact in Denmark who travels backwards and forwards between that London and DK on a regular basis.

You need a friendly contact in Denmark who travels backwards and forwards between that London and DK on a regular basis.
I am from the north and therefore terrible at asking for help. But I would very much appreciate help with getting a few nice vintage saws.

@Jorny Best start looking then and see if you can find something nice on ebay.co.uk. which no doubt you could, I can recommend Buck London brass backed tenon saws, very nice if you can get a good one.

I am from the north and therefore terrible at asking for help. But I would very much appreciate help with getting a few nice vintage saws.
Try the Vintage Tool Patch on Facebook , they have an auction every Friday, usually have saws being auctioned and the sellers will ship anywhere in the world.

whats the opinion on these 3 saws? if I do get them fixed up are they worth it? what would an equivalent quality saw cost do es anyone reckon?

plates aren't particularly pitted so will clean up well and will take a novice around 2 hours to retooth and set them all. Handles just need a good sand and then either oiled or varnished depending on your proclivity for such. Well worth the effort

If you want to get rid I'd say give them a good rub down with wire wool on blade and spine, take good photos and put them on ebay with a vague description. Someone will buy them. You'll get more cleaning up the handles first but the effort/reward ratio will be nowhere near as high.

The top couple look like they may do quite well with brass backs, the bottom one with the crown crosscut tooth pattern looks most interesting to me, but the obviously twisted spine puts me off.

Back