Saw-sharpening files.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

My saw-files are are aeons old, in a sad state, and I need to replace.

So I wondered if anyone has experience of the saw-files marketed by Classic Hand Tools.
Or any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank you in anticipation.

John

I have files from Workshop Heaven and they are very good, Classic might sell the same make but I don't know. I have one Diston crosscut and three Taylor Brothers, a panel, tenon and dovetail saw, they were second hand but hardly used in the 1960s when I got them, I find that one good sharpening session on any of these saws is all I expect from a file and then they become general files in the workshop and garage.
I find if I use a worn file I need to make a number of stroke with the file on each tooth, with a fresh file one stroke and it is done and I do not get cows and calf's, uneven height teeth. Other more skillful persons might not have this problem but I only sharpen each saw about once a year.

Stuart":213z5b4k said:
Other more skillful persons might not have this problem but I only sharpen each saw about once a year.

I fairly actively volunteer to sharpen friend's saws. They get a sharper than it was before saw, I get valuable practise.

Once a year is not enough to keep the skill level up, as I'm sure you've noticed :(

BugBear

I bought one from Axminster while in High Wycombe last week but haven't tried it yet.

John

I use the Classic Hand Tools ones, and they make my saws sharper - which is all I ask :roll:

I'm not an experienced saw sharpener by any stretch but I find, roughly speaking, each corner of the file will serve for about one saw sharpening (unless you need to drastically fix the shape/angle of teeth). You may be able to get more life out of them, I'm probably a bit over-careful.

They may not be the best files for all I know (again I'm no judge) but they won't break the bank and seem to do the job.

Thanks for the above posts.

Duncan... I follow! But I want more than one sharpen out of a new file. Fortunately, the files won't go rusty in my shop, as I am blessed with Triple-X low humidity!

Another reason is that, as BB says, once a year is not enough, to keep the hand and eye in.

Thanks for the link Mike. I'll 'fave' that for later.

John...
I have shares in Axminster; or so it feels, so I'll have a look.

Thanks again folks.
John

Keep a watch on the auction site for NOS saw files. The few that I've picked up have been very good and under magnification appear to be better than the new saw files that I've had.
Currently there are some double ended 7" Sandvik/Oberg but I've no idea if they are any better than the files being made now.

I bought a 4 inch extra slim from Ebay, the listing was rather anonymous but turned out to be a steal. Double ended Bahco Portugal file with split removable handle for £4. 2/3 of one end managed to reshape a 14" tenon saw where the teeth looked like they had been filed on the way out of a burning building.

I have a couple because they were NOS at a bootfair for pence...Nicholsons...not used for saws but other things like steel on planes...and they perform well...very well in fact and are still sharp.

They are "Made in Canada" ones not Brazilian.

Jimi

jimi43":2ao1uhwf said:
I have a couple because they were NOS at a bootfair for pence...Nicholsons...not used for saws but other things like steel on planes...and they perform well...very well in fact and are still sharp.

Hardened saw steel is on the limit of what a file can cut, so saw files are (or need to be) pretty special.

Mild steel is ... well, the name says it all. Much easier.

BugBear

Hi All
I dont do much saw sharpening but the little I have done I have used a triangular diamond file which has been used for several years.
It's about 5" long and about 1/4" across the flat and it still cuts very well. I can't tell you much abut its origins as I think it came from a market stall and did not cost a great deal - Might be worth a try if you can find one similar.

Regards ___________Arnold

Back