Saw Repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G S Haydon

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up an Atkins a while back. Sadly it turned up with a broken handle, eBay, it happens! Just tidied it up. Making a saw vice at the moment as I don't care much for the Woden one I have.

PXL_20221030_184536898.jpg

PXL_20221030_184448346.jpg

PXL_20221102_210901297.jpg

PXL_20221031_204952800.MP.jpg

PXL_20221102_210920528.jpg

PXL_20221101_210320861.MP.jpg

PXL_20221102_210735760.jpg

That's a really nice job, the restoration and recovery of old saws is fascinating. I've just started work on some myself, just got to get my main bench built first. Well done 😎

Thanks everyone. Derek, the glue lines are visible if you know where to look but they are okay. Yes, sharpening next. I'm making a vice before I do. I don't like my Woden brand one. You can't do the whole length of the saw without stopping and starting. I'm not a maestro with a file so I like to have the odds in my favour.

John, the breaks were nice and clean which really helped. Next time I would only glue one piece at a time. It was much more slippery with the Epoxy applied. I used a 90min version so I had plenty of open time.

Thanks Peter. My skills with saws are pretty mediocre. Clean up and sharpen is about I do at the moment.

This is my first attempt: backsaw vise.jpg
It holds pretty well (after I planed a slight concavity in the jaw faces). It's a juggle with wooden jaws to cut out the ends enough to accommodate handles without loosing stiffness. With a couple of my very small saws I just take the handles off, it's easier.

The nice thing about wooden vises is they are so much quieter - I've only used a couple of metal vises and both were screechy - are they all like that? Someone gave me some thick aluminium bar quite a while ago & I've been thinking about making a new vise using the aluminium for jaws, but it has remained low priority 'cos this one gets the job done & the only time I think about it is when I have to sharpen one of the more awkward small saws, so it may never happen...'
😉
Cheers,

Back