Saw ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wastrel

Reaction score
Hiya,

I am trying to identify a cross-cut saw that I bought for fifty pence at my local flea-market. The etching is extremely faint but I think I might recognise it if I saw a picture of the whole trade mark. Searches for "saw maker trade mark", "saw maker logo", "toolmaker trade mark" etc. have drawn a blank.

Does anyone know of a web site that shows saw etchings?

For anyone with time to waste who fancies a go at guessing, here's what I've got to go on:-

The etch is too faint to photograph but I can see that it is elliptical.

At the top of the ellipse is the word "WARRANTED". Below that it says "CHROME VANADIUM STEEL".

At the bottom of the ellipse there is a line that starts with "QUAL" and ends with "BEST".

There may be another line below that, but it may just be discolouration.

There is a picture in the centre. It might have a man on the left and he might be using a saw. On the other hand it might be my imagination - like seeing faces in a log fire or shapes in the clouds.

There is a "Warranted Superior" medallion that does not go through the handle. It is just inset into one side. The eagle and letters are the colour of brass on a red background. There are four screws holding the handle to the plate.

The length is exactly 500mm and there are exactly 4 points per centimetre.

I'd guess from the metric measurements that is is fairly recent, but it doesn't have hardened teeth.

Cheers.

You could take a picture of the bit you reckon is too faded anyway, then chuck it in an image editor and play with the levels and curves and see if that brings out more detail.

Thanks for all the replies.

The backsaw site looks promising, I'm searching that and a copy of the Eileen Woodhead trademark list. I may be some time, there are loads of trademarks out there.

Here are photos of the saw, the medallion and the etch.

I ran the picture of the etch through Gimp and tried to sharpen it. That's about as good as I could get it.

Attachments

• etch.JPG
    etch.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 493
  • medallion.JPG
    medallion.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 493
  • saw.JPG
    saw.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 494

Latest posts

Back