Saw id? W&S Heeley sheffield

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankederveen

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

A little while ago I picked up an older back saw at a yard sale; originally to learn saw sharpening. It now performs much better than I was expecting. Comfortable handle (for me) and cuts really well.

Any idea who made it or how old it might be?

w_and_s_2-1000.jpg

w_and_s_1-400.jpg

I think it might have been these chaps but I'm not sure. They are the only W & S that stood out:

Wheatcroft (& Sons), John (Joiners' tool, saw, skate, edge tool & file manfr.).
Residing at 28 Arundel Street; b. Heeley, in 1833.
Recorded in: Whites History & Directory of Sheffield - 1833.

Thanks,
Frank

Attachments

• w_and_s_2-1000.jpg
    w_and_s_2-1000.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 741
  • w_and_s_1-400.jpg
    w_and_s_1-400.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 742
There's a useful article in an old TATHS newsletter (No 106) by international saw history expert Simon Barley in which he distinguishes 'real' saw makers from the spurious names, invented purely as brands, which appear stamped or etched on saws.

The actual makers were listed as companies in trade directories. The invented brands, if registered as trademarks, appear only in the lists published by the Sheffield Cutlers' Company. (Not available on-line afaik)

He lists "W&S Heeley" as being one of the made-up names and I should think your suggestion of who might have made saws with that mark is plausible.

All this information and more should be in his book on the history of saw making, which has been 'nearly ready' for quite a few years now!

Thanks Andy,

So nothing special then, not withstanding that; It's a great user. I find myself grabbing for this little saw more often than one of my LN saws. That is probably due to slightly more set on the other saws. I seem to remember sharpening this one before I had my saw set.

Regards,
Frank

Back