Saw blade height - why?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be nice if Mr Mehler (and others) would realise that the push blocks he proffers can put you in a position of having a hand next to the blade (as well as leaning over the blade) whilst the long push sticks we teach people to use here in the EU are much, much safer. Also note the (unsafe) long rip fence technique which can lead to pinching, binding and sometimes kickback. I'm beginning to wonder if Americans ever learn (and if Sarge is reading this, I know he's safe :wink: )

Scrit

OPJ":8djrz5jb said:
Have you ever tried ripping a thin (3/4" or less) length of timber with the blade on an industrial saw exposed at full height? (about 6"?)

It can vibrate or jump like hell! :wink:

YES! - see my post in "Circular Saw" accidents....

Scrit":2f4til2c said:
So are you saying that accumuulated knowledge is of no worth?

Scrit":2f4til2c said:
It would be nice if Mr Mehler (and others) would realise that the push blocks he proffers can put you in a position of having a hand next to the blade (as well as leaning over the blade) ... I'm beginning to wonder if Americans ever learn

Apparently some accumulated knowledge is of no worth :wink:

Interesting this. When I was at the hospital, we decided to call in a woodworking machine trainer to ensure all staff were competant on the various machines for legal reasons. There were 2 very experienced joiners in the group, and a couple chippies like myself. We ALL without exception had been taught to keep the teeh justy above the height of the timber when cutting, but the instructor said No, modern thinking was to have it high so there was less of a curve on the cut and the blade could dissipate heat better.

It damn nearly led to mutiny and the issue was never resolved. Indeed the wording to the final certifcates was actually changed to read "was familiar with the machine and was aware of all safety procedures" instaed of every other machine where it read "was competant in its usage and was familiar..."
The instructor was not happy to word it any other way.
woody

Pecker":20psefzm said:
We ALL without exception had been taught to keep the teeh justy above the height of the timber when cutting, but the instructor said No, modern thinking was to have it high so there was less of a curve on the cut and the blade could dissipate heat better.
It might be modern thinking, but that approach really requires the use on a scoring blade to ensure that bottom spelch is minimised. This is one area where health and safety thinking is potentially at odds with quality of cut, depending of course on the nature of the work

Scrit

Back