saw blade... chicken and eggs....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markvk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

Equiping my workshop slowly, im waiting for axi to have a sale on their table saws and im going to buy the 12 inch jobby. theve got a sale on blades at the moment 20% off so i thought i might as well get the blades as ive read that the one that comes with it isnt up to much.

So what blades am i likely to need? shll i buy the 3 blade pack?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/accessories/ ... marchinery

sorry for the newbie question, we all need to learn!

mark

I think if it was me, I would buy a premium combination blade, say 48teeth 300mm alternate top bevel, probably a low noise version.

I think freud blades or wealdon are pretty good.

A sharp combination blade will give a superb finish for all cross cutting, angled and compound cuts. It will rip well but only up to about 2". A combination blade will also do clean cuts in plywood and veneered mdf as long as you cut steadily and have the height set for best finish. For heavy ripping of hardwoods buy a dedicated rip blade or you will get burning.

The axminster budget blades are probably chinese imports and maybe no better than the blade that comes with the machine.I havent used one though so that is not based on experience - hopefully somebody on here has hsed one and can advise.

Thanks Robin.

i have freud in my mitre saw and am happy with the cut (not that id know is it was good or bad!) bought it cause it had good reviews on screwfix! will wait to see what everyone else says about axi blades, the sale is on for a whole month so no need to rush.

What is a scoring blade and what is it used for?

A combination blade will also do clean cuts in plywood and veneered mdf as long as you cut steadily and have the height set for best finish.

What height should i be setting it at? at the moment i have a dewalt flipover saw that i use for a table saw, generally i set the blade to clear the work by about 5mm but wasnt aware that the hieght would impact on the quality 0f the cut.

Thanks

Mark

Scoring saws are for panel saws when cutting veneered or laminates.. I don't think this will be on the Ax 12" saw. If you do buy the blades in advance, make sure the bore size on the saw blade is right for the boss on the table saw..

Thanks Scosarg,

yes ill make sure all the dims are correct, still not quite sure what a scoring blade does tho!! its not the same as a dado blade then for cutting rebates?

A scoring blade counter rotates ... Ie it runs opposite to the main blade just in front of the main blade. The scoring blade cuts into the bottom face .. The main blade follows and cuts through.. As both blades are cutting into the work there is no exit cut, hence no break out (chipping or splintering)
This is an example of main and scoring blade...
http://media.scosarg.com/media/catalog/ ... mnt70c.jpg

Thanks Scorsag, will check that out.

Robin,

A sharp combination blade will give a superb finish for all cross cutting, angled and compound cuts. It will rip well but only up to about 2". A combination blade will also do clean cuts in plywood and veneered mdf as long as you cut steadily and have the height set for best finish. For heavy ripping of hardwoods buy a dedicated rip blade or you will get burning.

I take it that you mean somthing like this to start with?

http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/pro ... t/LU84R012

Trouble is i cant seem to find a UK supplier for it, let alone one thats a a competative price. I have looked at wealdon but they dont seem to do the same tooth configuration.

Complecated stuff the blade lark..... and ive still to sort the bandsaw out yet!

Mark

Markvk":16hemgny said:

Robin,

Trouble is i cant seem to find a UK supplier for it, let alone one thats a a competative price. I have looked at wealdon but they dont seem to do the same tooth configuration.

Complecated stuff the blade lark..... and ive still to sort the bandsaw out yet!

Mark
Hi, Freud blades are a very high performance blade and I would rate them on a par if not better than CMT, and trust me there are suppliers out there that can do these at very reasonable prices!!!

Phil Walker@Appleby":9jat8bl9 said:
Markvk":9jat8bl9 said:

Robin,

Mark
Hi, Freud blades are a very high performance blade and I would rate them on a par if not better than CMT, and trust me there are suppliers out there that can do these at very reasonable prices!!!

Yes i like the ones ive got, but can only find the 12 inch version of the general purpose blade as recommended, in the US. if you know of a supplier can you let me know?

ta muchly.

Mark

Back