saw bench help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
have an old MULTICO saw bench( when i say old i mean circa 1945) belt driven,recently started to vibrate excessively changed bearings and tried new blades but no better, any suggestions apart from buying new.
johnluc.[/quote]

I gather that changing the belt can make quite a difference. I've never had to do it myself, but it might be worth a look to see if there is any obvious wear or damage.

Does the motor itself run smoothly if you remove the belt so it has no load?
S

I have a pillar drill, bought second hand, and the belt has a 'patch' where it ran round the smallest pulley caused by the machine being left unused and with the belt tensioned for some time before I bought it. There was a most pronounced vibration when initially started. Flexing the belt improved matters but my other ploy; of leaving it to run for 20 mins did not. I suspect that the rubber in the belt has hardened with age and only a new belt will finally remove the vibration.

Tony Comber

Almost certainly the belt. Buy a new 'cogged' belt. These still have a V section but have a tooth like profile cut on the inside and are much more flexible.
Bought from sensible sources ie not the manufacturer of the machine, V belts are very cheap.

Bob

Yep! Belt, especially if the machine has been idle for some time, do as Bob suggests, also as he suggests, avoid the manufacture for such spares. Gold's currently cheaper!

Roy.

As a guideline a 1metre (circumference) 1/2" wide belt should be about £5.

If the OP is stuck for a source PM me with the dimensions.

Bob

thanks for all your replies,forgot to mention saw has two belts, will get dimentions but will need to have them sent to france if i cant find a local source thanks for your reply Bob.
johnluc

Back