Sauno Kiln Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Togalosh

Established Member
Reaction score
At last it's built & working..& smelling wonderful (I love the smell of steaming larch in the morning).

So:

kiln 1_opt.jpg

kiln 2_opt.jpg

kiln 3_opt.jpg

kiln 4_opt.jpg

kiln 5_opt.jpg

kiln 7_opt.jpg

kiln 10_opt.jpg

Kiln 8_opt.jpg

kiln 9_opt.jpg

..I've a got a leak or 2 so I've topped up the water in it once in 3 days.

& I've got another week at least of steaming before drying & then hopefully I'll be able to make a start on my own work bench !

I'm happy with it so far.

Attachments

• kiln 1_opt.jpg
    kiln 1_opt.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,855
  • kiln 2_opt.jpg
    kiln 2_opt.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2,855
  • kiln 3_opt.jpg
    kiln 3_opt.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,855
  • kiln 4_opt.jpg
    kiln 4_opt.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,856
  • kiln 5_opt.jpg
    kiln 5_opt.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,855
  • kiln 7_opt.jpg
    kiln 7_opt.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,855
  • kiln 10_opt.jpg
    kiln 10_opt.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,855
  • kiln 9_opt.jpg
    kiln 9_opt.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,855
  • Kiln 8_opt.jpg
    Kiln 8_opt.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,849
Hi,
I bought the bigger kiln 4 years ago and rapidly ran out of the space needed to use it, buy hopefully will remedy that soon.
How do you mean Steaming first and how do you work out the "how's and whys" to using it.

Hiya Michael.

I've poured in some water (a fact that is not mentioned until late in the instructions so I strongly recommend you read through it all before you start) as the timber had been felled 12 months before it was milled a month ago so it was already pretty dry. To allow the centre to catch up the with outside without the outside splitting some water is needed to create steam. It's steamed for 1 week or more for this 4" thickness at 70C. In theory the steam opens up the pours (but I bet that's not what they are callled) so when it comes to drying it dries evenly.

I've divided the 1 length by 30 to get a block of 45mm long, dried it in my oven at home & weighed it. I can then weigh the remaining length to be fairly sure when that piece is down to 9% MC.. if my poor maths is up to it.

The instructions are ok but there's a few things it omits..like how you are supposed to drain away the water inside a buiding if the drain holes are only 50mm off the floor (hence why mine is on a pallet). Routing the rebates makes a shed load of minscule foam bits that get everywhere so do it somewhere that is easy to clean up.

As for the the drying I believe that the vents are opened & the temperature adjusted...it can't be that easy - nothing is, so I am expecting some degree of trial & error. This wood is for a workbench & if it does split it can be filled with resin or if it moves it can be fettled..it can't be worse than the bench I use at the minute. I have read 2 books on drying & I've a 3rd on the way & I was expecting to measure how much water is collected every day in order to work out if/when to adjust the temperature & judge when it's all done but the sauno instructions are far more basic. I'll soon see if that is a good or bad thing.

I got my kiln about 3 years ago and built it out of the foam that Sauno recommended. It didn't last too long in my workshop as it got dinged a lot and eventually after doing about 6 loads of beech, oak and yew, I felt it was leaking too much. The temperature wouldn't go up to the 70 degrees and it took about 8 weeks for the run. I am planning to build another one shortly and this time it will be narrower and taller so it takes up less of a footprint. As I don't like the sauno plans this time I will be using the Nyle kiln plans which I think will be better. I have a base built from cls and teak lab worktops which will be slightly modified. My kiln is near my workshop double doors which has a slope and I just drain it out there.
For the last 15 years or so I have been using a chainsaw mill and have good access to as much oak, beech, yew, sycamore, ash, poplar etc as well as having a van. I mainly use oak and beech in my business and as I have just forked out a grand on oak for a project (which if I had cut myself would have been chucked in the stove) it has spurred me on to replace the kiln.
One thing I did notice from your photos Togalosh is that you are not using ratchet straps to bind all your timber together to stop it looking like propellors. This is important and should not be under estimated. Even if I am filling the kiln to the gunnels with heavy slabs I always used them to keep it flat as possible. Stainless steel ones can be bought for about 30 quid a pair on Ebay or from marine chandlery stores.
Nyle also have a very neat way of sealing the kiln up with a gasket which I reckon is far superior to the way sauno recommend and I will be going with this method myself. I also recorded daily the temperature inside the kiln and the amount of leccy used in the workshop. This time I will get one of the meter things which measure the leccy usage so I can maybe workout costs per cubic foot.

Mike

Hiya Mike,

Cargo straps - righto, I'll get some asap..Thanks for the tip.

I agree that the foam is far from ideal & does dink easily. I was planning to clad it in 6mm ply but I might rethink it all (as you have) because today I opened it up to check to see if the inside had dried out & saw these holes & also found more scorching outside so it might not last too long anyway - very annoying.

20131021_175511_opt.jpg

20131021_175525_opt.jpg

20131021_175804_opt.jpg

20131021_175821_opt.jpg

I have the Nyle plans too so will look again at them. I have some Teak science benches too but I'd be very reluctant to use them for this.

What do you think of your finished timber- good quality ?..as good as what you buy or not?

Togs

Attachments

• 20131021_175511_opt.jpg
    20131021_175511_opt.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,480
  • 20131021_175525_opt.jpg
    20131021_175525_opt.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 2,480
  • 20131021_175804_opt.jpg
    20131021_175804_opt.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,480
  • 20131021_175821_opt.jpg
    20131021_175821_opt.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,480
Hi,
Where can I get a copy of the Plans for a Nyle kiln?
Do you think a small shipping container would be any good if it was insulated ?

Hi Michael,

I got Nyle plans from their website ..I think.

A container with coldroom panels would be good..with tracks (railway like) to roll loads in & out with blower fans as used for kitchen ventilation.

Hi guys can you advise on running costs for the kiln? I am keen to build one but need to factor in the cost in electric first
Thanks
Tim

Back