Sapele Cabinet-long post with lots of pics.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently made some exterior doors from Sapele and had a fair bit left over so decided to make a small cabinet. It is 24" tall, 16" wide and 15" deep. The size mainly dictated by what timber I had. After planing/thicknessing and edge jointing I had this pile of bits.
large.jpg

The panels were cut to width on the table saw and cut to length using a homemade panel cutter Norm style.
large.jpg

The front top rail is joined to the legs with a dovetail, the pin was cut on the 'Rat and the sockets in the legs by hand.
large.jpg

The mortices and slots for the panels were cut on the 'Rat. I find this easier and get better fitting joints cutting them this way rather than using a dedicated morticer.
large.jpg

This is how I cut then tenons. First pic shows cutting the shoulders and the second cutting the cheeks using my homemade tenoning jig. If you look under my right hand you can just see a micrometer head that gives me very fine adjustment of the tenon thickness. Once set this produces very accurate tenons that neeed no tuning for a good fit providing all the mortices are the same size.
large.jpg

large.jpg

This is a dry fit of one of the sides.
large.jpg

The door has an Oak burr veneer panel. I used 12mm MDF and glued the veneer on using contact adhesive. First time I have tried this and it went suprisingly well. time will tell if the glue bond is good enough. The balancing veneer on the back is iron on AWO. Using 12 mm MDF allows the door to be joined with biscuits with the back of the panel flush with the stiles and rails. This is the panel with the top and botton rails in position. Once this is dry I cut to width and join the stiles with more biscuits. The door is made slightly oversize to allow for fitting to the cabinet later.
large.jpg

First dry fit of all the parts. The panels have been given a coat of oil.
large.jpg

This is the top after 3 coats of Danish oil.
large.jpg

This is the door after one coat of oil. The holes in the veneer will be filled with coloured wax later.
large.jpg

The door was hung using Lamello hinges with the mortices cut with a biscuit jointer. This is not as easy as it looks when Norm does it!! I found it difficult to hold the biscuit jointer still and in the correct position even with a fence clamped to the cabinet. The jointer moved slightly resulting in an oversize cut out. These hinges are very expensive and in future I will use normal hinges.
large.jpg

Here it is finished after 3 coats of oil and a polish with Black Bison wax. I turned the knob from a bit of sapele.
large.jpg

I only started this last Saturday so this is a record for me to complete a project in 8 days. It normally takes me longer than that to get the parts cut to size. I am very pleased with the result and so it the other half.

Hope this was of interest and not too long.

John

John

Thanks for the WIP,,it really looks a lovely cabinet.

Regarding the hinges I have bought some of these for an upcoming project, what I don't seem to have is the instructions for setting up the BJ, you don't per chance still have them do you?

I don't have the lamello BJ but was going to give it a go with my PC.

Thanks for posting those pictures, John. It was interesting reading your experience with those Lamello hinges. I've never used them but often wondered if cutting the recesses would cause problems. The action of the blade on a biscuit jointer is such that you sometimes get a bit of sideways movement, which doesn't normally matter when jointing but would, of course, when cutting recesses for the hinges. Not really sure how you would overcome it, unless you could find a way of clamping the jointer or put a stop each side of it so you could guarantee it wouldn't move sideways.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Waka, I don't remember getting any instructions when I bought mine. I have the PC jointer and the only critical part is setting the depth of cut. It is deeper than a size 20 biscuit but less than a max cut. I just used trial and error on a scrap piece. The problems I had were the BJ moving on start up and moving sideways as the cut reached full depth. The first was solved by starting the BJ before attempting to position it and the second wasn't!!! I suppose a jig could be made to hold the jointer in position and if I was going to use these hinges again I would probably make one. It is a lot of faffing about and in future I will just use ordinary hinges morticed in the normal way.

Hope this helps.

John

Thanks John

I'll give it a go and see how I get on, I've been thinking about a jig but not come to anything conclusive yet, I do love trial and error, adds a bit of spice to the project.

I really like this cabinet. Nice simple lines (that's my kind of style) nicely executed.

You've reminded me that I keep meaning to make a tenoning jig (& now I've got my new ts working I've really got no excuse...) Did you work to a plan or 'make it up' yourself?

Lovely job John and the door panel looks great to me. 8 days!! You'll be getting the rest of us a bad name :wink: :lol:

Latest posts

Back