Sanity testing Floating shelves needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickson71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I've got a request for doing some floating shelves from SWMBO

This is to replace the aluminium decorators stand that been subbing as a TV unit whilst I've been avoiding doing more work on the house. (needed a 7 month break after fitting reclaimed parquet floor).

The TV will be bolted to the wall using the appropriate hardware. The plan is to use floating shelves for the other bits (PS3, Sky box and my AV amp). The size of the shelves are to be 50cm wide by 40cm depth and a thickness of 36mm

The shelves need to support the weight of the amp (11Kg) at least as this will have its own shelf.

I was originally thinking of using 3 layers of 12mm MDF sandwiched together with the middle layer router/cut to result in 3 holes

shelf.jpg

I plan on glueing in some 12mm steel rod or studding leaving enough to insert in to the wall ......... going though the plaster and a full brick thickness ............ and epoxying them in to place

I've seen other posts on this subject but nothing this size

I'm after sanity testing this idea as I'm concerned about the weight of the amp and the size of the shelves ...... after all I not to keen seeing my kit ending up on the floor in bits

Also if my idea is a bit over the top and there is an easier way of doing it I'd be happy to hear about it

Thanks

Ian

Provided your wall is not lightweight blockwork you should be OK, I would tend to go for T12 rebar rather than just round mild steel as it takes a little more bending but theres not much in it.

Jason

Yep, I reckon that would work OK. The biggest problem is how are you going to ensure everything is dead level? There is no adjustment, is there?
S

Drill the holes in the wall 14mm and it gives you a bit to play with, shelf will need support while epoxy sets.

Jason

David, the problem with the type of fixing you have linked to is that they all use plugs & screws to hold them to the wall and IMHO will not take much in the way of loading.

And as far as I can see they are all visible so you won't get the "floating" effect.

The method Ian proposes is the best option, heres one I did the same way.

c90.jpg

c91.jpg

c92.jpg

Jason

Ian,

Not wanting to put you off, but doesn't having the shelves detract from the look of a wall mounted panel TV?

My setup is the following (lots of work)

The TV is on the wall.

All the cables (2 x hdmi, 2 x scart, 1 power, 1 coax) are buried in the wall in a pice of square pipe normally used for extractor fans) and go under the floor to the other side of the room.

All the gubbins is in a cupboard behind the setee. (actually the're on the floor because I've not made the cupboard yet!) where the wires pop up.

The remote(s) signals are sent via a magic eye from under the TV into the cupboard (well actually just to behind the setee at the moment).

Just my £0.02 worth

Latest posts

Back