Sandtex Masonry Paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that Sandtex is generally considered the best paint to use on masonry? I have the inside of my stone workshop to paint and while it isn't strictly outside I'd probably be better off using exterior masonry paint.

Another possibly stupid question: Is the handle on a 5ltr tub strong enough to allow me to carry it about half a mile without spilling it all over the pavement? I take the bus to work and I wouldn't mind picking some up on the way home rather than driving back down later on.

Consider Snowcem, too.

I've used both Sandtex and Snowcem on large, white houses. The latter was in a spot that gets a great deal of wet and windy weather in the winter, occasionally cold, too. It's really tough. I think it's also breathable. Snowcem comes as a powder you mix with water (or it used to). Steve Maskery was considering it for his workshop, as it's fireproof too, but I can't remember what he eventually decided; I think it was tied to his discussions with the building inspector.

You might also need some sort of stabilizer before the paint. Judging by the smell, the can I have is some sort of thin polyurethane formulation, but it seals friable surfaces, so the masonry paint can adhere. I'm using it on plaster cornice. I wish I'd used it ten years ago when I did the outside of this place. I used Sandtex then, a LOT of it (not cheap!), and the paint itself hasn't failed, but it has come unstuck from the whitewashed surface underneath, and I now have penetrating damp on an exposed wall. If I'd prepared it properly, it would probably still be fine.

I bet there are experts on here tho...

E.

Wickes has some Dulux Weathershield on offer. £23 for 7.5 litres but only white or magnolia.

I quite like the look of Wickes own brand cool grey, but I'm not exactly confident in Wickes own brand. I have plenty black pigment however left over from mixing some oil paints, so could I whack some of that in until it turns a light grey or would that ruin the paint?

Check Costco for dulux weathersheild. Not always in stock but when it is its much cheaper than elsewhere

The pigment is standard artists pigment, the same thing that goes in to both oils and acrylics. As far as I know most black pigments are some variation of charcoal powder. The white that's in the dulux will more than likely be titanium white unless the decorating companies are keeping secrets from artists. I'm fairly sure they will mix but my issue is how easily the medium will bind with the pigment. Water based paints tend to take it fairly easily, but oil takes some grinding on a glass surface. This dulux is apparently resin based.

You should only need to use a stabilising solution first if the substrate is friable/chalky.

The handle should be fine.

Regarding colourants, there are essentially three types. Oil, water and universal (which go in both oil and water).

Back