Sanding Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
Had to do some accurate sanding so made up a sanding bobbin to go into the router table. When a section wears out I just lowered to the next unused abrasive.
3814520902_38c8bd1de5.jpg

Good idea but I worry a bit about the bearings/bushes on the router. I guess if you take it easy then there should be nothing to worry about :?

Zambezi, do you mean from dust or radial load? For dust I am still using the extractor, and I suspect there is less load on the bearings than when routing/

Not so much the dust but the load on the shaft/bearings. When you are cutting with the router it is normally done in small amounts and the cutter should cut the wood as it is fed through, which will naturally load the shaft/bearings. Sanding could be a higher load (in my head anyway), which is why I think it will be ok for light use.
I would be inclined to try and support the top of the bobbin, maybe with a bearing running on a support on the fence/table (similar to a router cutter with a bearing). That way you won't get all the load twisting unevenly through the routers bearings/bushes.

PS I have a habit of over engineering things :wink:

zambezi":370ynqa3 said:
Not so much the dust but the load on the shaft/bearings. When you are cutting with the router it is normally done in small amounts and the cutter should cut the wood as it is fed through, which will naturally load the shaft/bearings. Sanding could be a higher load (in my head anyway), which is why I think it will be ok for light use.
I would be inclined to try and support the top of the bobbin, maybe with a bearing running on a support on the fence/table (similar to a router cutter with a bearing). That way you won't get all the load twisting unevenly through the routers bearings/bushes.

PS I have a habit of over engineering things :wink:

Nothing wrong with being safe, to be honest with new abrasive the load is very small and its only to clean up to a line, I just needed accuracy for a jig I was making.

Chems, I turned a 25mm ali bar down to 1/2 " for the router collet and stuck the abrasive with some super glue at the join. I should have mentioned that the router needs to be on low speed, DAMHIKT.

Sounds good, thinking of rotary tools to be turned into bobbin sanders wouldn't a drill with a hammer setting be best??

I may buy a bit of 1/2 ally and have a go myself as it looks really good.

Chems if you dont have facilities for turning metal, I guess you could drill a 1/2" hole in a 1" piece and then insert a 1/2" shaft with some epoxy.

Good thinking, Pete. :)

Do you have any trouble with burning or scorching? Only, I've read in the past that, even on their slowest speed setting, routers still operate at much higher speeds than proper bobbin sanders.

Olly, yes there was some burning on some of the cheap abrasives but not to bad using the quality stuff. I had my Trend T11 on slowest speed.

Latest posts

Back