sanding sealer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoatyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - I'm hoping the title is the answer but am feeling nervous and would welcome confrimation (or otherwise)

I've been making (since forever) a bedside chest of drawers and have oak inserts in the front of the pine drawers.

I set to with the sander (normal orbital, plug the hoover in the back) and noticed that the oaky bits started to get extra white flecks appearing which (A) wern't there before and (B) distract from the rather saucy figuring on the oak.

I'm assuming this is pine dust getting where it is not welcome and before I finish sanding would wish to prevent it occuring in/on the other drawers

so would putting sanding sealer on the oak first do the job?

if not (or even if so) any better ideas?

the top one has the white bits the bottom one hasn't been sanded

all help as ever most, most welcome and appreciated

Pete

4890907347_2e559ca704_z.jpg
[/url]
P8130203 by stoatyboy, on Flickr[/img]

if you wipe some meths over the area with white bits in do the white bits still show up?

Hi Matt thanks - I tried some white spirit which helped but didn't solve totally

I got it out by using a fine paintbrush and blowing a lot!

I was really after some way to stop it happenning in the first place - I've seen articles on inlaying, suggesting use of cabinet scrapers instead of sanding to stop different coloured woods interfering with each other but I don't have a scraper and wanted to get on with things - then again I don't have any sanding sealer either!

in the end I masked the oak and sanded the pine
and then masked the pine and sanded the oak
and then very gently sanded the bit in the middle!

I think there is a better way - cheers

Back