Sanding sealer... A requirement or an option?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_87

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have some Chestnut satin acrylic lacquer, the spray can one, after reading the direction it say to use either an acrylic or cellulose based sanding sealer, have done some googling and read on some other forums that sealer isn't a must and mainly to help get a smoother finish. My piece is ash with a little gloss spray paint (image link below)
So basically, I'm not after a mirror smooth finish so would you guys advise I use a sealer or not?

Cheers.

14x7AshWalnutStave-17_zps1a779a6e.jpg

Sealer will er... seal the timber ;) It will prevent the top coat finish from soaking into the grain of the timber. You will probably find that you will require a lot less top finish because it sits on the sealer rather than soaks into the wood, there by requiring less coats.

Nev is right, and the sealer also acts to bind the loose fibres of the wood together to give a better surface for finishing. The better the foundation, the better the end result will be - and that's not just for smoothness but also for better adhesion. This is especially relevant in the case of the acrylic sprays as in extreme cases certain timbers will repel the lacquer - the sealer acts to prevent this. It's extremely rare but prevention is better than cure.

In this case, the wood has been sealed by the paint so a sealer won't really be needed, although it won't do any harm if you do.

Don't use the shellac sealer mentioned though, not with the spray lacquers.

Latest posts

Back