Sanding discs for METABO SXE450

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 3M Hookit sanding discs (150mm) will fit the base plate of the METABO SXE450?

The 3M discs have 6 holes and are at 35mm centres from the outer edge (80mm across centre)

How do people rate this sander?

Andy

Hi Andy

The Metabo is excellent and imho is the best buy. Do a search in the buying forum and see for yourself.

I don't know about the 3M but if somebody doesn't answer before this evening, just send me a pm.

I bought these from ITS London. When you order three or more cartons, of the boxes of 50, you get them at a fiver per carton. They're nowhere near the quality of the ones that came with the machine.

Cheers
Neil

Lynx - if it's 6 hole it'll fit - but I can double check if you like later ...
It's a good sander - built like a tank and the 2 eccentric modes really are quite handy. It's pretty smooth - you still feel some vibration but not a lot.
It comes with one paper bag which if I was using more often would replace with the fabric bag option. Mine has an awful fit on the dust port - needs a lot of force to attach it - but to be honest I either wear a dust mask or attach the vac which fits straight in.

Neil - well spotted on those discs - but that is weird pricing!

Cheers

Gidon

Andy,

I've just checked a disk and they are indeed 35mm from outer edge/80mm across centres. They are just the standard arrangement that fits Makita, Bosch etc. as well.

Don't know about the paper bag, I've only ever used it with an extractor attached. Dust extraction is really good with the extractor.

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks for the replies people. Glad these 3M discs will fit as i have alot of these to hand.

Xpressconstruction looks the best at the moment at £120, anyone know of a better deal?

Andy

Hi Andy

Xpress price is 139.82 inc vat.

The best deal, including 50 disks, is at D&M. The free disks only go uo to 120g.

I have the small Trend extraction and it fit exactly into the Metabo. 8)

Cheers
Neil

Neil. Sander ordered :wink:

We have been using the 3M discs for along time and i haven't heard anything bad about them from the shop floor.

Thanks for all the help people

Andy

would you beleive it i got a load of disks for my metabo sander from Lidl!! istr around 3 or 4 quid for 20. I do like the metabo, but i think I will get a smaller machine as well some time in the future. The metabo is quite heavy and is tiring to use on vertical surfaces

Tom

LyNx":1kda7xes said:
How do people rate this sander?

I upgraded to this recently from a green Bosch 125mm sander and it's like using an entirely different type of tool! Like the Bosch wasn't actually a sander at all, but something else :)

Anyway the Metabo is great and as others have said, the twin orbit setting is very handy - 6mm takes off material very quickly.

I've not quite figured out yet how much pressure I should be putting on it. Any at all? Is too much pressure likely to shorten the life of the machine?

M

matthew":2fue6nzd said:
Not quite figured out yet how much pressure I should be putting on it. Any at all? Is too much pressure likely to shorten the life of the machine?
It is an extremely common misconception that you need to apply loads of pressure when sanding. You don't. Light pressure only and let the abrasives do the work. If it's not cutting enough then either the abrasive is clogged or has worn down to a smaller grit (this happens with alox) or you need to be using a coarser grit/larger orbit.

Scrit

It's a first class machine, don't come much better !

Best used directly with an extractor though as the bags, as on most of these types of machine I suspect, are pretty useless and fiddly.

Hi Chisel

chisel":wwxblxun said:
Best used directly with an extractor though as the bags, as on most of these types of machine I suspect, are pretty useless and fiddly.

Someone posted this link to a canvas bag for the Metabo recently. I'm sorry, but I've forgotten who it was. :oops:

I have no personal experience of this as I use a dust extractor.

Cheers
Neil

I wasn't that happy with the paper bag (OK, I didn't want to buy any more...) so I hooked up my shop vac to the dust port. It worked like a charm until I cracked the bell; the suction was too strong for the sander and was pulling it down onto the wood with too much force (it was kind of like I was sitting on the sander, I guess). I got it repaired under warranty but I also drilled some air holes in the sleeve to reduce the suction.
I don't know if you have SIA discs in your part of the woods (they are Swiss), but I like them a lot.

The sander arrived yesterday. I very nice machine and well built. I was worried that the 3M pads wouldn't fix right but i had trouble removing them.

I have fitted the papaer bag and intend to use it with a shop vac once i get one.

FrankD, thats the worry i have attaching this sander to my RSDE2, i think it may try and suck the inners out of the sander.

Andy

Latest posts

Back