Same but different??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
As promised here is the start of the 2 table lamps i am making for my brother.
Started them the weekend,and finished today.
Slight change of plan as i was originally going to use normal pine but my brother liked the look of the Scots Pine :?: i think it is,as it would match the rest of his bedroom furniture,goody :D
So started off by sorting some of the old SP out,these are the rails off old paneled doors that some one was throwing out,i had them and cut them down for the wood.
Here goes :shock:

This is how the rails were.

This is them been cleaned up using my electric planer.
With dust extraction close by.

This is them been leveled both sides on the joiner.
Didn't put them through the thicknesser as they were pretty even.

This is them sorted out to match the grain as best as poss.

This is them been glued.Three pieces per lamp.

This is them clamped up.
Made enough for three just in case :roll:

I have now finished both pieces and will try and post rest of piccys later.

Right got time now to finish.

This is the revolving hollow centre kit i used.

These are the items i used out the kit.From top.
Revolving centre.
Spigot.
Hollow centre.
Centre finder.

To mark your work you need to find the centres.Make a little mark with a bradawl.
Then place the centre finder piece on the mark you made and hit it with a mallet.This will mark the circle to locate the hollow centre.Do this both ends.
Then i take the drive centre out my lathe and place this on the centre of the work and also hit this with a mallet to mark the four prongs.Again do this both ends.
Put the revolving centre in the tailstock with the hollow centre in place.
Put the workpiece on the lathe making sure to locate the circle marked earlier with the hollow centre.
Tighten up,and start to bore the hole using the Auger.
Take your time just boring about 2" at a time pulling out Auger to clear the debris.
Measure how deep you've gone by putting hand against the tail stock wheel and withdrawing the auger.
When you've gone about half way through turn workpiece round and place on marked centres as previous,this is why i marked using the drive centre as the hole bored is bigger now than the point on the drive centre,so i use the prong marks,and carry on boring.
When the hole as been bored right through,stop lathe ,pull the tailstock back and place the spigot into the hollow centre piece,the corresponding end of the spigot is the same diameter as the hole you've just bored.So nice tight fit.
This will hold the workpiece in place while you carry on turning.
Hope this is all clear. :shock:

Hollow centre in place.

Hole been bored using Auger

Spigot in place in hollow centre piece.With wood marked.

Timber rounded and ready to shape.

Finished Table Lamps

These are 12" high x 4" dia base.Finished in sanding sealer and woodwax.
Not quite identical,but they'll do. :D

Paul.J.

Made Light work of that project Paul, turning some paper thin shades to go with them ? :twisted:

Show off with your fancy hollow centre, :lol: still need to fork out on one for my machine, basic one I had went away with the perform. :cry:

no paul they are not the same (TO A PRO ) but i think they are very nice, infact i would be very proud to have turned them, well done :eek:ccasion5:

Excellent wip ... very illuminating :wink:

(and I like the lamps :lol: )

Nice one Paul, or should that be one's? Don't be too concerned about them not being identical, it is the hallmark of hand turned items.

If anyone wants identical, suggest they use a copy lathe.

Again, nice one's :)

Really nice job there Paul. I was looking to see the join and couldn't, also hard to see why they are different apart from the grain which is as it should be. Be careful or you might start get commissions for 1/2 a dozen at a time.... :lol:

Pete

Very nice,Paul - and thanks for taking the time for all the w-i-p pictures as well :D

Andrew

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Brother picked them up last night,well chuffed with them. :D
CHJ wrote
Made Light work of that project Paul
Just wish i could have made light work of the WIP,piccys :roll:
Paul.J.

As you admit they do differ in the shape of the coving around the stem feature, but all the same they look good and if they were not next to each other you would find it difficult to notice the difference.

Well done.

Hi Paul,
Where did you get the revolving centre kit from please?
Cheers, OJ

Latest posts

Back