Salisbury Cathedral Font

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy*miller

Established Member
Reaction score
I visited Salisbury Cathedral last week for the first time for years and saw their new font, which is just stunning. Being made of bronze and stone it's nothing to do with woodwork but I'm sure that anyone who appreciates good design would be impressed. If you live anywhere near Salisbury go and see it.

www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/news.php?id=352

image352.jpg

For woodwork I recommend St Alban's cathedral.

This is widely regarded as an abortion, since a "Lord" decided to fund it all, generously.

He decided that this gave him the right to do what he liked, and he decided he DIDN'T like some of the medieval stuff, so he sort of had it replaced...

Ignoring all that, he paid for the very best of materials and craftsmanship, in 1880, which I consider about the strongest period for crafts skills.

Absolutely magnificent, especially the Bishop's seat and choir stall, and font cover.

BugBear

For modern stuff, there are some amazing tall chairs - I mean TALL chairs - in, IIRC, Wells Cathedral.

No picture on the WC site though, so I can't be certain.

S

Steve Maskery":2s8t5fxy said:
For modern stuff, there are some amazing tall chairs - I mean TALL chairs - in, IIRC, Wells Cathedral.

S

These ones, yes saw those last year. They really are something.

WellsWood":37c5ypnc said:
Steve Maskery":37c5ypnc said:

S

These ones, yes saw those last year. They really are something.

<grump>don't look very comfortable</grump> :)

BugBear

Do you not think so? They tilt back a bit and have good lumbar support. They look rather more comfortable than your average church chair to me.

But actually, even if they are uncomfortable, I really don't think that's the point. In that setting, they are an architectural feature as well as being something for choristers to sit on. They are about presence.

S

I'm not a church "go-er" myself but I have been in a few and I have to agree that some of the design elements are awesome. Those chairs look great, I don't think they look comfortable but without seeing them up close or having a sit in one, I guess we'll never know!

Back