Sailing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Established Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being branded a "killjoy" I have to say I can't believe my ears, Hull NHS have announced that they are prepared to purchase a yacht in order to train youngsters into becoming rounded citizens :shock:
apparently, this will get wayward youngsters off the street and teach them how to be good citizens, sailing, apparently is now the way to punish youths who don't want to conform to the norms of society :? :shock: .
no wonder we are where we are, I despair, Scotland, Ireland and wales can afford to hand out prescriptions for free, here in England we are going to purchase a yacht, you could'nt make it up.

Rich.

Well yes, you can take young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and give them the kicking they so obviously deserve, don't give 'em anything to do, tell 'em what rubbish they are. And then they will become model citizens, eh?

Or possibly do something to give them an interest and a bit of self-respect.

I despair of some of the rubbish I read here, I really do. If you knew anything about it at all you would know that schemes such as Outward Bound and the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme (not to mention the Prince's Trust) have a tremendously positive effect on large numbers of disaffected kids. This is more of the same. A personal challenge, which is how people learn about themselves and develop.

Don't bother arguing back, I won't be drawn into another one of these threads again.

I see, well what about the kids that DO behave, where is their reward?

Rich.

Sail training is an effective thing for taking wayward and not so wayward youth, getting them off the streets and changing their lives for the better. There are numerous examples of this around the world.

I think the the money is better spent on sailing vessels than on more prisons.

Alright then, assuming I AM being a killjoy, what gives Hull city NHS the right to spend any surplus on social engineering, more to the point, how can they underspend, either their targets are not set high enough or they are cutting corners, at any rate the money should be reinvested from whence it came or given to another authority that is struggling, it should DEFINITELY NOT be used to purchase a yacht.

Rich.

I won't comment on how they're spending their funds because I don't know the situation. Have you seen the vessel they purchased? I doubt it's a luxury yacht as you might believe it to be.

Smudger":22ckzp3j said:
Well yes, you can take young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and give them the kicking they so obviously deserve, don't give 'em anything to do, tell 'em what rubbish they are. And then they will become model citizens, eh?

I despair of some of the rubbish I read here, I really do. If you knew anything about it at all you would know that schemes such as Outward Bound and the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme (not to mention the Prince's Trust) have a tremendously positive effect on large numbers of disaffected kids. This is more of the same. A personal challenge, which is how people learn about themselves and develop.

Don't bother arguing back, I won't be drawn into another one of these threads again.

Actually, i spent 5 years teaching YOPS and YTS kids, you should try something similar, it was a real eye opener.............

Rich":2n6h9882 said:
Alright then, assuming I AM being a killjoy, what gives Hull city NHS the right to spend any surplus on social engineering, more to the point, how can they underspend, either their targets are not set high enough or they are cutting corners, at any rate the money should be reinvested from whence it came or given to another authority that is struggling, it should DEFINITELY NOT be used to purchase a yacht.

Rich.

Well i suspect there will be a few council jollys on it, you watch......

No to be fair to the authorities it is just a repeat of a bygone age. In the 18th century they used to give the dregs of society a cruise on a large vessel to Australia. History repeating itself I think. :lol:

Dave R":1pcnohrq said:
I won't comment on how they're spending their funds because I don't know the situation. Have you seen the vessel they purchased? I doubt it's a luxury yacht as you might believe it to be.

It is a 72ft yacht and will cost £400000.00 :shock: that's not a drop in the ocean, no pun intended.

Rich.

Lincolnshirebodger":132wtpa5 said:
Smudger":132wtpa5 said:

Actually, i spent 5 years teaching YOPS and YTS kids, you should try something similar, it was a real eye opener.............

I spent 35 years teaching kids like that. What do I know?

Lincolnshirebodger":1w4r41f9 said:
Rich":1w4r41f9 said:

Rich.

Well i suspect there will be a few council jollys on it, you watch......

So perhaps you could chuck in a bit of evidence for that statement?

No? Thought not...

Give the man a chance to reply, anyway, I thought you were'nt going to be drawn into these "threads" again?

A man should stick by his words.

Rich.

So you'd prefer no-one argued with these doom and gloom stories you like to chuck around so much?

I don't come to this forum much nowadays - guess why?

Not at all chap, the best way to learn is to debate in an adult manner, but you keep getting the sulks simply because someone else's opinion differs from yours, if you don't like this section of the forum then don't participate, if you do, then don't keep throwing tantrums, be aware that we are ALL entitled to an opinion, as a teacher of 35 years experience, you should be aware of this, I respect your opinion and expect the same reciprocation WITHOUT bitterness.

Rich.

I'll tell you what, old chap (don't patronise me, old chap, eh?) I am absolutely sick and tired of dried up old men who seem to think that a long sojourn on this planet gives them the right to belittle, insult and decry any and all attempts by other people to make things a bit better, becuase for some reason known only to them they get some sort of pleasure from seeing the world as a crappy and irredeemable place - and assume that everyone else is as sad as they are.

And how WOULD you know what 35 years of working with disadvantaged young people would have taught me? Right, you wouldn't. So, just possibly, instead of shooting off at the mouth you might, just once, listen to people who know a bit about it. And learn.

Smudger":x10ho5ui said:
I'll tell you what, old chap (don't patronise me, old chap, eh?) I am absolutely sick and tired of dried up old men who seem to think that a long sojourn on this planet gives them the right to belittle, insult and decry any and all attempts by other people to make things a bit better, becuase for some reason known only to them they get some sort of pleasure from seeing the world as a crappy and irredeemable place - and assume that everyone else is as sad as they are.

And how WOULD you know what 35 years of working with disadvantaged young people would have taught me? Right, you wouldn't. So, just possibly, instead of shooting off at the mouth you might, just once, listen to people who know a bit about it. And learn.

Smudger, read my previous post and then reread your last one, it's not me that's sad, I have done my best to be reasonable, alas you have not.

Rich.

Like I said, don't patronise me. I can read very well, thanks.

There's no debate in your OP, just another 'isn't everyone but me a twit?' post.

Back