Safe dados????? or why you need push sticks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ye Gods Tony, Thank goodness it wasn't worse! Get well soon.

I was just looking at which table saw to get, but I think maybe I'll just buy a nice Fisher-Price tool kit and go and sit somewhere safe instead...

:shock:

V.

My god Tony, sorry to hear about your accident, i hope you get full function of your fingers back again.

It just goes to show that no matter how experience and confident that you are, accidents can still happen.

Cheers

Mike.C

Blimey, Tony....I can only add my best wishes for a speedy and total recovery....

but there, for the grace of whichever deity you prefer, go I.

Jeepers...

I've just gone out and knocked up another couple of push pads and dug out some more push sticks.
I reckon I need to ensure they are instantly available so that they get used every time. Therefore, having made some more I can spread them around the workshop a bit instead of hanging them up neatly where they tend to look nice but don't always get used.
Scary how fast things can take on a new dimension!
Look after yourselves.

SF

Sorry to hear about that Tony. Get well soon - the only good side to it is it could have been a hell of a lot worse and I'm glad it wasn't.

Drew

Tony, sorry to hear about your accident. I am sure that it won't be long before, router in hand, you step up to the plate again.

Good luck

Woody

Tony

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you get better soon. Remember, you've done yourself quite a mischief there and you need to watch out for delayed shock. It can catch up with you some time after the event and knock you sideways.

Regards.

Damn... that really sucks Tony.

I'm beginning to think that woodworking with power tools is akin to lion taming... lose concentration for a second and prepare to lose something else when the lion/router bit/table saw/pillar drill bites back. :shock:

Anyone know where I can order a pair of chain mail gloves from?... on second thoughts anyone know where I can get a chain mail suit from? :-s

Sorry to see you've been in the war's Tony.
Hope you can still order 10 beer's o.k. :shock:

Tony--best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Hate to say it this way, even as bad as it was, you were fortunate this is all that happened.

Again, best wishes.

Mike

Just caught up with this thread, having ignored it for days thinking it was another scrum on the stacked dado cutter.

Tony, I can only add my commiserations, as well as relief that it wasn't much worse. Hope you make a full recovery.

WOW!!!!

Thanks to you all for the kind words. You have no idea how much it means to have a group like you lot who understand and are there.

I am truly touched (in many ways :D ) and my spirits are lifted

Neil
Well spotted. Mrs T did not forget this either :? She saw all on Sunday and now says that all depends on next visit to surgeon when dressings are removed. If I get to keep the end of the finger, I get to keep the tools...........

Not a happy lady!!!

Looked at wood today. It is cut cleanly for 20mm.
Wood is then sort of mashed up as tool grabbed and started to accelerate it.
After 150mm, wood was moving at same speed as cutter rotation and left indents every 18ish mm with no cutting between them :shock:

I did a few calcs and for 12mm cutter at 22000rpm:

2*pi * r = 0.038m (cutter circumference)
(0.038 * 22000)/60 = 13.8m/s (speed of rotation at circumference)
So, wood was moving just under 14m/s (cutter rotation will have slowed a little) after 150mm of travel and acceleration :shock: :shock:

That is up to 30.8mph!!! It broke the speed limit :lol:

You really are an engineer at heart...

Good luck on the recovery.

Tony":2fy68xm2 said:
If I get to keep the end of the finger, I get to keep the tools...........
Is it really terrible to have a sneaking hope you'll do a Dave Allen - and be looking out for the For Sale list in consequence? Not that I'd do that, obviously... 8-[ :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":25oyxvth said:
Tony":25oyxvth said:
If I get to keep the end of the finger, I get to keep the tools...........
Is it really terrible to have a sneaking hope you'll do a Dave Allen - and be looking out for the For Sale list in consequence? Not that I'd do that, obviously... 8-[ :wink:

Cheers, Alf

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only the power tools would go - i'm sure I could argue to keep the *hand* tools :wink:

Get a new plane tomorrow too :cry: :cry: :cry:

ummmm.... Tony.... if the wife's objecting to you workin with wood-munchers... how's she gonna react to a new floozie in the workshop...??

best keep that one quiet yea..?? ;)

Back