Rycotewood Proposals

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This just in from Ian,

"There is no parking at the venue other than for load and offload as the whole of Oxford operates on a park and drive scheme.

Rycotewood moved from Thame a number of years ago and are now housed at Oxford and Cherwell College.

Should be a good one, nice and easy and a great time to pick up some tools and try them out we will have plenty of LN stuff there and a number of differing species of wood prepared for sawing, planning and chiselling!"

My initial feeling is that any demos prepared by us for our bench at Rycotewood ought to be able to be packed into a holdall or rucksack or at least be able to be brought in on the bus to the college. Whatever you intend to do, I'd suggest that it's kept compact. Difficult call I know - Rob

Rob - Thinking about weight and transport - how about some saw handle and plane tote making?
Could prepare some beforehand using my new LV router cutter and finish them off with some rasps etc?
Would need a bench though? - I have a portable Zyliss vice?

Rod

Harbo":2avcan8f said:
Rob - Thinking about weight and transport - how about some saw handle and plane tote making?
Could prepare some beforehand using my new LV router cutter and finish them off with some rasps etc?
Would need a bench though? - I have a portable Zyliss vice?

Rod
Hi Rod - I see no problems there, provided you can transport all you need on the bus into town. That said, I'm sure there'll be some pooling of kit on the bench over the weekend.

My only concern was that someone might have needed to bring in half a dozen 48" Record 'T' bar sash cramps or similar on the bus :shock: which might have caused a few sideways glances

Is there a gloat lurking in there somewhere?..if so we need pics :lol: - Rob

Being a newbie to this forum I worked out where it is but is it ok to park a maroon MKII Jag outside...? :D :D

Think I might come up by train by the sound of it if I can get the time off...unless anyone is going from Kent and wants someone to ride shotgun?

:D

Jim

I've just done a Google Maps search for 'Oxford and Cherwell College' but, as it brings up several results, I'm still a little confused - which one is it? :?

Very disappointing that we won't be able to park anywhere near but still, it sounds very promising.

Rob

Been browsing the forum today after a long absence - I think this is a great idea.

Oxford's not far away, so I'm happy to be there on Saturday subject to SWMBO approval, and assuming you're still looking for support. Like others, I'm not that confident about displaying my skills (?) in public (apart from which, I'm painfully slow at everything), but I'm willing to help out.

By way of a suggestion, I could bring some stones (waterstones & diamond), honing guides (Eclipse & Veritas), chisels, blades, etc, to allow the group members to demonstrate/practise sharpening. Or has this been done to death?

HTH

Les

Routermonster":31l1p9f0 said:
Rob

Been browsing the forum today after a long absence - I think this is a great idea.

Oxford's not far away, so I'm happy to be there on Saturday subject to SWMBO approval, and assuming you're still looking for support. Like others, I'm not that confident about displaying my skills (?) in public (apart from which, I'm painfully slow at everything), but I'm willing to help out.

By way of a suggestion, I could bring some stones (waterstones & diamond), honing guides (Eclipse & Veritas), chisels, blades, etc, to allow the group members to demonstrate/practise sharpening. Or has this been done to death?

HTH

Les
Les - whatever you want to bring along would be fine, subject to transport restrictions (ie weight for example) on the bus into town. The more we have to chat about amongst ourselves and for others who come to gaze on the wonders before them on the UKW bench...the better :lol: - Rob

Not sure on this, and would wait for Rob (woodbloke) for confirmation from Ian, but if its where I think it is, OCVC (Oxford and Cherwell Valley College ) Oxpens Rd, Oxford.
Park `n Ride facilities are A40 Thornhill/Sandhills/Risinghurst (depends on which local you speak to.
bus into station and its five minutes on foot for you younger chaps, and a pleasant 10 mins stroll for us doddering old farts :lol:

just wait for confirmation from Rob , but just a heads up for interested parties

HTH

I've just done a bit of Goggleisationing as well and have come up with Oxford and Cherwell College However, delving a little deeper into the site on the courses tab reveals the Rycotewood Furniture Centre which I guess has to be the venue. If you read further the centre is located at the Oxford City Centre campus post code OX1 1SA...there is an email address there so I may well give 'em a shout on the 'morrow

Olly - as regards parking...agreed, but that's out of our hands - Rob

woodbloke":95uejyo5 said:
I've just done a bit of Goggleisationing as well and have come up with Oxford and Cherwell College However, delving a little deeper into the site on the courses tab reveals the Rycotewood Furniture Centre which I guess has to be the venue. If you read further the centre is located at the Oxford City Centre campus post code OX1 1SA...there is an email address there so I may well give 'em a shout on the 'morrow

Hence my earlier question about which campus as the Oxpens campus is alongside a public carpark (albeit rather expensive)!

OCVC has two sites in Oxford plus campuses in Bicester, Banbury.

I work within a short walk of the northern Oxford Campus (Marston ferry rod) and about a 20min walk from the Oxpens site.

StarGazer":lg3qnub6 said:
woodbloke":lg3qnub6 said:

Hence my earlier question about which campus as the Oxpens campus is alongside a public carpark (albeit rather expensive)!

OCVC has two sites in Oxford plus campuses in Bicester, Banbury.

I work within a short walk of the northern Oxford Campus (Marston ferry rod) and about a 20min walk from the Oxpens site.
SG - I'll give the college a ring tomorrow to confirm exactly which site it's on - Rob

woodbloke":c2kc4r2z said:
[SG - I'll give the college a ring tomorrow to confirm exactly which site it's on - Rob

Rob,

If it is either of the two central Oxford Campuses I may be able to do either friday morning or afternoon, probably bring along some chisels and relief carving that I have as a winter job. Being rather a newbie at the wood game and my first bash, will there be some sort of bench or would I need to arrange to bring a workmate?

StarGazer (also an Ian so been getting a little confuzzled)

StarGazer":1s256zjj said:
woodbloke":1s256zjj said:
[SG - I'll give the college a ring tomorrow to confirm exactly which site it's on - Rob

Rob,

If it is either of the two central Oxford Campuses I may be able to do either friday morning or afternoon, probably bring along some chisels and relief carving that I have as a winter job. Being rather a newbie at the wood game and my first bash, will there be some sort of bench or would I need to arrange to bring a workmate?

StarGazer (also an Ian so been getting a little confuzzled)
SG - there will be a bench (or maybe two) for us to work on, exact details to be finalised at a later date...all my refs to 'Ian' are about Ian Styles at Axminster, so sorry for the confuzzlement - Rob

I've just spoken to a person who confirmed that the hand tool event with Axminster will be held at the Oxford City Centre Campus which is where Rycotewood is now based...see here - Rob

I wonder when they're going to formally announce the event. Interested to see what else is going on.

wizer":35ot9wze said:
I wonder when they're going to formally announce the event. Interested to see what else is going on.
Tom - they have done (see the Axminster site) and it's been in BW this month. Workshops with David C and Robert Ingham, also Nick Gibbs is making block planes, plus the LN bench...quite a lot going on - Rob

I've only quickly scanned through this thread, but I can't see it. What are the details of the 'special' event for UKW? Is this still happening? If so when, where, etc?

woodbloke":25onc7zh said:
... (see the Axminster site) and it's been in BW this month. Workshops with David C and Robert Ingham, also Nick Gibbs is making block planes, plus the LN bench...quite a lot going on - Rob
Sounds like a promo by the usual suspects - already very well promoted!
Why bother?

Back